Day 23

Trip Start Jun 19, 2010
Trip End Aug 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Patricks Point State Park

Flag of United States  , California
Sunday, July 11, 2010

2010 U.S. Road Trip – Day 23 -
7/11/2010 – Trinidad, CA

It was very wet last night. The fog
came in off of the ocean and deposited moister in the trees above
which in turn dripped to the ground below creating what seemed like
rain all night. The tent stayed dry except for the corners which had
a little moister on the tent floor. After tearing down camp we were
able to depart around 10 a.m.

We continued our trip north on route 1
until route 1 ended. We had lunch at Benbow Lake Recreation Area
just off of route 101. We then followed route 101 to Trinidad where
we found a campsite for the night at Patricks Point State Park. The
trip down route 101 was very scenic with tall redwoods all around us.
During our travel the temperature swung from 60 degrees to 95
degrees and then back to 60 degrees. That was the first time we had
seen 90+ temperatures since we entered the San Diego area a few days
ago. We had a temperature swing because route 1 headed away from the
coast until it ended at route 101. Once we were in the valley
opposite the coastal waters the temperature swung upwards to a steamy
95 degrees. Then route 101 headed west until we hit the coast again
at which time the temperature went back down to 60 degrees. So we
will have another cool night for camping.

My wife prepared dinner on the tailgate
of the truck and then moved to the table located at the campsite.
When she moved she left a few items on the tailgate including the
bread. My daughter went to the area of the truck and thought she
heard a door shut and came running back to the table. None of us
heard a door shut so we didn't think anything of it. As we were
eating at the table my wife heard something near the truck so she
pointed a flashlight in that direction and there he was. A raccoon
was pulling the bread down from the tailgate. She yelled and the
raccoon left but not empty handed. The raccoon took the bread as it
left. We never saw him again but we did see his paw prints on the
totes that we left outside. This is the second time we had a run-in
with a raccoon. The first time, in Tennessee, the raccoon didn't get
away with any food but this raccoon got away with a loaf of bread. I
guess he got lucky.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Selby on

No more raccoon sighting. Make sure you keep you food closed. Look at you e-mail I sent you link.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents