Waiting for Bus 15

Trip Start May 18, 2005
Trip End Jul 10, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Friday, May 27, 2005

The title pretty well explains the day. A day that was going to include visiting temples and exploring turned into a fun day, despite lack of communication or productivity. We boarded Bus 15 headed for Siam Square and were about three stops away when my dad realized that we hadn't paid the rent for our room. After a quick decision and a little cursing, he hopped off the bus at the next stop and caught a bus in the opposite direction to come pay the rent. Jeff and I continued on to Siam Square. After wandering around for a while, finding a fairly upscale shopping center and mall-type area, we settled into a Starbucks with two new promotional drinks to wait for my dad to show up. About an hour after he left, we saw someone we thought was him. We jumped from our seats in the air conditioned Starbucks to find him. Alas, it was not he. We found another post, this time outside, from which to watch the buses. We knew that he'd arrive on Bus 15. Luck would have it that Bus 15 is the least frequent bus of about 20 that go through that intersection. Sometimes Bus 15 would come in pairs, one about 2 minutes after another. And then it would be 45 minutes before the next one. After waiting for three hours (it was then 2:00pm), we decided to get lunch.

Lunch presented itself in the form of a Japanese restaurant, expensive compared to the street food we had been eating, but practically free compared to anything in the US, especially Japanese food. We ordered a bowl of tempura udon each, and one plate of assorted sushi rolls (about 18 pieces total). It ended up being $10 US each - an amazing price for that much food. We went back to look for my dad some more, but this time, we quickly gave up and decided to catch the next Bus 15 in the opposite direction, back to our room. Much to our delight, a Bus 15 was stopped in traffic as we approached the street. However, when we approached it, the driver shook his head. Then he drove off as the traffic began to move again.

After searching up and down the street for the bus stop (technically it's a bus stop, but the only sign of it is the crowd of people hovering at the curb glancing at the approaching traffic). So we wait. About four 25s come along, three 16s (so close!), ten 73s, a few 159s, three 54s. No 15. An hour later, no 15. Drenched in sweat, soaked in exhaust fumes, decorated with dust, and saturated in the steady roar of engines revving, I saw the familiar red bus approaching. 16. But behind it was a 15. The first one since the one who so casually dismissed us. Homeward bound, finally! A scenic drive back rewarded us for our wait, and we were reunited with dad (who, due to miscommunication, had never really left the room since he got back and paid the rent).

In other news, we had an amazing dinner. The Tom Kha (Chicken Coconut Soup) was the best I've had, and the only I've had in a long time.

What's tomorrow? Wats tomorrow! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

QoD: Bus 15
AoD: Waiting for Bus 15
Noteworthy: The number of buses that are NOT Bus 15
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


chaskemp on

and so it goes- nothing happens quickly. hope your money is going to hold out. are you balancing periodically to make sure? yea for the soup; it's really the best.i hope the emerald budda is wat's up before you leave thailand.looking forward to hearing about cambodia-be careful. love you, mom

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: