Walk like an Egyptian - dirty and hot
Trip Start Jul 25, 2006
165Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
I'll come to the point - I did not like Luxor. It was hot, dirty, dusty, and there was a lot of hassle. The sights were amazing. The entire Egypt section of my Ancient History course was in front of my eyes - Karnak, the Valley of the Kings, Habu Temple, Hapshepsut's Temple, and more. It was almost overwhelming. However, the modern town of Luxor, perhaps inevitably, is a small, sad shadow its former glory.
While in Luxor, I stayed at the Happy Land Hotel. A decent enough little place, I would like to take this opportunity to declare that the huge, waist-high, yellow stain on the sheet was from a spilled can of Mango Miranda. Nothing else.
Some of the highlights of Luxor:
· the incredible paintings in the tomb of Ramses I
· The stick figure like paintings in rows in the tomb of Tuthmosis III
· The live sized engravings and paintings in the tomb of Ramses III
· The Temple of Hapshepsut
· The lame "Traditional Alabaster Artisan and Giftshop" stop on the tour.
· Caleche? Where are you going? Where are you from? Hello. Hello! HELLO MISTER!
· Finding my own way out to Karnak along the ruins of the Alley of the Sphinxes