Freezing in Fez

Trip Start Mar 14, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Morocco  ,
Sunday, March 29, 2009

Our last day in Marrakesh was an enjoyable one made up of simple pleasures. The local pastry lady remembering who we were and scaring away the children trying to get something out of us. A little boy introducing himself to us and all he wanted was a bit of conversation. He was one of the nicest people we have met here. I don't know if we should call it a pleasure or just an experience, but we ate at one of the little hole in the wall food stall. It smelt so good we couldn't resit. It also looked really good if you didn't look to closely.

What we are about to describe next may shock some of the more hygienic among you, we apologize in advance.

The man prepared our kebab, after which he then prepared other customers lunches. Apparently the special of the house was a mixed grill made up of heart, liver, kidneys, rack of lamb and some other parts we couldn't recognize. In the process of cutting all this up another customer required a plate of olives, using his bloody hand he scooped the required amount into a bowl. After the olives he wiped his hands as apparently this was too messy for him. He then continued cutting up the mixed grill, when the knife he was using fell on the floor. Once he placed the mixed grill on the fire, ours was ready. We were a bit shocked at this stage, we had already ordered and payed. He picked up his knife from the floor and cut open our bread with his damp bloody hands, scooping in some tomato sauce, followed by our grilled meat. Before Shona would even contemplate eating it she chose to pick the remaining raw meat of hers. Eh what the hell we were only going to try it once. If we don't get sick we will be the luckiest people in the world, but the food was delicious. We will let you know how we get on.

Oh and we did walk the whole way to the train station.

We arrived in Fez at 3.30 in the morning, sitting by ourselves at the train station with only the cats as company. Freezing our arses off, we are sure that we were the only passengers that were grateful that the train had been delayed a couple of hours. We couldn't get into our hotel room until midday. Our hotel doesn't have heating or doors that reach the ground which of course lets in a draft. We had to spare a blanket off the bed to block the 15cm gap. The hot water only works from 6-10 morning and evening. Even Dino was cold, this was apparently the first time he has ever been this cold before in his life. Dino had also had no sleep on the train nor at the station that morning. His first day in Fez he wasn't enjoying. Especially at 8 in the morning when he started getting harassed by the locals touts.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: