Fields of Gold
Trip Start Sep 05, 2012
27Trip End May 16, 2013
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Plus, Burgos turned out to be a much more impressive place than we had expected
Anyway, just a few of the highlights of the last few days:
- Santo Domingo de Calzada - where a complex legend about a chicken coming back from the dead somehow causing a young man to live through a hanging has resulted in 700 or 800 years of chickens being penned in a glass cage above the pews of the church like a group of low rent Amsterdam sex workers.
- Iīve started easing my way into becoming a wine drinker. My teeth are reaching a pleasing shade of purple.
- Had our first day of real rain on Friday. Unpleasant, although it did give us a break from complaining about the afternoon heat. Something had to fill the void.
- Watched one of the Lord of the Rings movies in its entirety in Spanish while drinking far too many beer and getting quite drunk. Yes, quite.
- Our hike into Burgos was very scenic, although for the first time gave us all sorts of route options which, rather than provide a nice way of customizing the hike to our tastes, instead practically debilitated us with indecision after 12 days of blindly following yellow arrows with the single minded deliberation of a dog pissing on trees.
- Finally, as I mentioned, we finally got our own hotel room and luxuriated in the opportunity to sleep in this morning...until the ripe hour of 7 and a half
If you are interested in reading more please check out my book Random Acts of Travel : Featuring Trepidation, Hammocks and Spitting.