Dia Primo - San Jose, Costa Rica

Trip Start Jan 09, 2007
Trip End Mar 05, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Thursday, January 11, 2007

After months of planning and waiting, Bob and I finally arrived in Costa Rica late last night after a smooth and seemingly speedy flight(s) from Chicago - Miami - San Jose. The final two days of preparation were hell for me as I was also moving out of my friends house and packing at the same time. We only expect to be gone for two months but I want a fresh start when I get back to Chicago so instead of storing dry leftover groceries I gifted them to my sister and a friend. There is something melancholy about cleaning out a cupboard of mustards and pasta and Campbell's mushroom soup. I find it sad owning no food!

So today I bought a mini-mustard jar from the supermercado in San Jose on Avenida Central. I felt much better after that.

We woke up late this morning, around 10am, with the sounds of renovations outside our room at Kap's Place in the Aranjuez district. When we arrived last night we were shown to the $55 a night room we had reserved but we took one look at the single beds in separate rooms and asked the desk clerk for alternative options. He offered us a $35 a night room with three single beds in a row. We accepted the cheaper room and pushed the beds together, which is probably better for Bob anyways as he's 6'4" and I've seen his feet hanging over the end of a couple of hotel beds in the time we've been dating.

We started the day moseying along Avenida Central and while we were picking up malaria pills from a pharmacy, a young pharmacist took us under her wing when we asked her where to go for a mountain view. She told us which bus to take to Terra Mall and actually accompanied us to the bus stop and spoke to the driver to tell him in Spanish where we were going. The bus ride, which showed us parts of San Jose we could never have walked to, as well as a lovely mountain view cost us 160 Colones each way (US25cents).

We returned back to the center of the city later on, walked more, traipsed through the Cultural Market and had lunch at a restaurant on the second floor allowing us to sip our first Imperial Beer and watch the locals and visitors stroll by on the promenade below us.

For dinner we bought food at the supermercado on Avenida Central and Bob cooked up some incredible Argentinian Sausages with diced tomatoes and red peppers in the mess kit his parents gave me for Christmas (Our hotel has a couple shared kitchens). Now we're checking our e-mail, checking the news and planning our bus ride to Puerto Viejo tomorrow. My question is - do I feel out of the United States yet? I'll answer that tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: