The bahamas and Orlando

Trip Start Jan 27, 2010
Trip End Apr 28, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Florida
Saturday, February 27, 2010

We went for one last walk on the Miami Beach and then check-out of the hotel. We walked the 2 blocks to our car and drove to the airport and dropped off the car at the car rental returns. We got the shuttle bus to the Miami Port which is opposite the causeway to Miami Beach. There were 5 other cruise ships at the port. We checked in fairly quickly and were able to get onto the ship at 11.30 am on Monday. The ship was pretty big and very much like the one we went on last year, the Pacific Dawn. Our cabin was really good and in a good spot because there was only a few other cabins around us so it was very quiet.

We left the port at 5 pm. It was pretty windy and overcast. We had a great view of Miami and Miami Beach as we left. It was a bit rough for the first couple of hours, I felt a little bit queasy, but then it got calm and I was okay.  We had a good choice for meals, we could either go to one of the 3 buffets or 4 of the different restaurants. There was a different show every night and they were all really good.

We arrived at the first of the 3 Islands we were going to visit at 8 am the next morning, the Grand Bahamas Island. The weather had improved a lot. It was about 25 degrees and sunny. We went on an Island highlights, shopping and beach tour at 9 am. We stopped at 2 markets, the people keen for us to go into their shops. We didn't buy much. We stopped at a beautiful beach and then went onto Lucanya and went to the large market place there.  Our tour guide was telling us about the storm in 2005 that ruined a lot of buildings, and showed us a hotel, the second largest on the island that was damaged and closed down because of it, putting 1200 people out of a job.  We went back to our ship and just relaxed around the pool for the afternoon.

We were supposed to go to Nassau on Wednesday but instead we went to Great Stirrup Cay because to get onto that island we had to use the tenders (small boats) as it hasn’t got a dock. The captain changed our itinerary because on Thursday when we were supposed to be at the Great Stirrup Cay it was forecast to be windy and so the tenders would have been too dangerous to use. We dropped anchor at 8 am, and we could go onto the island by tender after that. Great Stirrup Cay is NCL’s own private island. Alan and I slept in and had a late breakfast and then headed to the island at 11 am. It was an overcast day, and not as warm as yesterday, maybe 18 degrees. The water was really clear. We had a BBQ lunch on the island which was nice. We just relaxed on the chairs on the beach and walked the 15 minutes to the other side of the island and saw the small beach there. We went back to the boat at 3 pm. We had a god dinner at one of the restaurants and watched the tribute to Broadway show. There were plenty of other things to do.

Thursday we woke up to the ship rocking a bit,  and we docked in Nassau at 9 am. It was very windy, the captain said we had 50 knot winds coming into Nassau. We were going to go on a glass bottom boat to see the fish but it was canceled because it was pretty rough out on the ocean. We got off the ship and walk to the shopping area, not far from the dock. We bought a few souvenirs and then walked to a few of the Islands popular attractions. We saw the queens staircase, built by the slaves in honour of Queen Elizabeth after she abolished slavery. We went to the small zoo and saw the beautiful flamingos from the Bahamas. They are so much bigger than I thought. We went back to the ship at 3 pm and we left for Miami at 6 pm. The sunset was beautiful.  We had a really good time on the cruise and were sad it’s over. The weather had improved and it was smooth sailing back to Miami.

We got into Miami at 5.30 am at had our last breakfast on the ship and got off pretty easily at 8.30 am. We got a shuttle bus to the Miami airport and that’s where it got a bit harder. There were people everywhere because a lot of the flights to the East Coast near New York had been canceled due to the snow. We finally managed to find where we had to check-in for our flight to Orlando and got through security at 10 am. We were way early for our flight which was supposed to board at 1.55 pm and ended up being delayed and we didn't leave until after 3 pm. If we knew then what we know now we wouldn't have flown there, it was only a 40 minute flight and if we drove we would have gotten there a lot faster. We got a shuttle bus to our hotel which is in Kissimmee only 2 miles from Disney World, another hotel bargain at $35 a night, including breakfast, shuttle to Disney World and other attractions and it's even got a heated pool and wi-fi! We finally got to the hotel at 6 pm. We've got 6 nights here in Kissimmee and then we are going to fly to Nashville where we've hired another car for 16 days.

Well, that is plenty of typing for tonight! Talk to you all soon, Dianne and Alan
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


sis-deb on

wow wow wow, the holiday of a lifetime hu? just to say HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIS FOR MONDAY love you lotsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dianne.kennett on

Thanks Deb, yes we are having a great time. We are going to Disney World tomorrow on my Birthday. We hope everything is going good at home, Talk to you soon, Dianne and Alan

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: