Little Cabin in the Woods

Trip Start Jul 21, 2012
Trip End Aug 12, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , North Carolina
Saturday, July 28, 2012

Left Amicalola State Park in Georgia and drove to Franklin, NC.  We stopped by the Ingles to pick up groceries, as we will be cooking during our stay instead of going out to eat.  Tricia and I bought veggies, fruit, and salad, while the guys stocked up on meat!  Headed to the cabin - so cute!  Up on a hill (with kind of a precarious driveway) and just perfect for the 4 of us for a few days.  Two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen, living room, washer/dryer, and a great porch.  We settled in and then spent a relaxing evening while watching the Olympics.  Jim brought Kelly a remote control helicopter, so the boys played with their helicopters outside - fun!

Next morning coffee and breakfast while looking at the beautiful view of the Smokey Mountains. Drove about an hour to Bryson City where we went rafting, using the outfitters called "Adventurous Fast River Rafting" for a trip on the Nantahala River.  We got PFDs, went through safety instructions, and then got on a bus to go to the put-in site.  Our guide was named "Scoots" and he was a hoot!  He kept us on our toes with silly comments ("Hey, they filmed a scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark here." -not really! - we finally stopped believing whatever he said), by doing donuts in the rapids, and by hitting every rock in the harbor.  It was so much fun - the very last rapid, "Nantahala Falls" was exciting for sure.  After the falls we ended our trip and got out of the raft. Then Scoots and the other guides realized that someone in a raft behind us had fallen out, so they quickly donned PFDs and went to the rescue.  They got a woman out of the water, then Kelly checked to see how she was doing (she had had heart surgery a few months before, had CPOD, etc., and the water was very cold).  She was dizzy and a bit disoriented, but got on the bus OK. We drove to Franklin, to the grocery store (again!) and then to the cabin for dinner.

Next day the guys went to golf at the Franklin Golf Course.  Jim borrowed clubs that were at the cabin, and they played 9 holes.  Tricia and I went thrift-shopping around town - had a great time finding unique items (a teddy bear vacuum cleaner cover?) and good bargains.  Most of the stores we went into had an associated charity, like the Humane Society or Domestic Abuse, etc.  I like that, and I found books and other assorted items to purchase.  We met the guys downtown and walked through the Ruby City Gem Shop (included a small but interesting museum btw) and other stores.  Then the guys went to buy more meat, this time at a convenience store attached to a restaurant.  Back to our cute little cabin for a steak dinner.  A neighbor stopped by to see if all was OK, as he had heard Jim and Kelly playing helicopters and thought maybe a bear was in the area!

Left the next morning to drive to Richmond.  Stopped for gas and at the recycle on the way out of Franklin.  
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Barbara Deck on

I would not have wanted to leave that cabin!!! I love the story of the helicopters! Guys are so easy to entertain...just give them a Hurray Kelly for putting your EMT skills to work! You are such a hunky hero!!!! Love you guys!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: