Jet Lagged and wonderstruck

Trip Start Oct 04, 2011
Trip End Nov 28, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jacqui and I left Vancouver airport at 2:45 AM after an already long day for a 13.5 hour flight to Hong Kong.  We arrived on time at 7 AM and headed to our hotel to leave our bags until they could give us a room.

Not content to be jet lagged we had signed up for a walking tour of Hong Kong with Jamie of J3 Private Tours.  Off we went to explore the island of Hong Kong with Jamie.  We took the famous Star Ferry from Kowloon to Hong Kong.  The ferry terminal is about five minutes from our hotel.  We walked around the Central District, took a trolley bus for a ride then a taxi to the Peak.  The Peak is probably one of the most famous tourist attractions, it overlooks the city providing incredible views of same.  The only problem that arose is that it is a public holiday which the Chinese consider a 'dangerous day' that requires hiking and climbing mountains.  Well the result, as you have already guessed, is a massive traffic jam up the mountain road, overcrowded Peak Trams with huge line ups and massive line ups for the buses which are caught in the traffic.

We finally made it to the top and it was worth the pain of travel.

However, the site that will stick in our minds was the gathering of the Filipino 'maids/nannies'.  Apparently every Sunday and public holiday, all the maids from the Philippines and Indonesia gather in groups to spend the day on blankets spread over the pavement to socialize and eat with each other.  The Filipinos and the Indonesians in different areas of the city.  The city accommodates these gatherings by not harassing them and by closing some streets for them. We saw thousands of these young women all through the business sections of Hong Kong.

Finally back to the hotel for a sleep, exhaustion had set in, we tried to stay awake for the nightly laser show on the buildings of both Hong Kong and Kowloon but Jacqui fell asleep while I was having a beer watching out the window, well, with 15 minutes to go, I slipped into a deep comma only to awake with a few minutes to go to 8 thereby spilling most of my beer in my lap.  I watched half  of the event then passed out after the endless day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Julie on

Another adventure begins. Fun to see the familiar haze over Hong Kong. Doesn't that place give a whole new meaning to urban density? Keep the photos and updates comin, Doug. Love to you both and safe travels! Julie

Alan on

I remember the excellent dog stew I had at Hong Kong oh so many years ago, but I guess that wouldn't be up your alley. Give my regards to good old Amritsar when you land.

Jill on

Greetings Doug. Thanks for sharing the photos of Hong Kong. Did you find the Starbucks cafe?

art on

we just got in from fairmount....the pictures are great.....get lots of rest

dhensby on

Thanks everyone for your comments and yes, of course, I found the Starbucks, more money here! Tried a Chinese beer and it was good.

icephixia2000 on

Great read thank you!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: