And then there were Five!

Trip Start Apr 29, 2011
Trip End Sep 03, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Finland  , Southern Finland,
Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Today was the day that Louise would be joining us. Sadly, it didn't look very promising as the weather was literally the worst that we had experienced since arriving on the continent at the end of April. It was pouring with rain and the sky was almost black. The forecast, however, was for the weather to improve during the day so by the time Lou arrived, with luck it should be OK.

I haven’t described HSK yet so I will rectify that now. I think I have already commented on the quality of some of the sailing clubs that we have visited during our time in the Baltic. HSK or Helsingfors Segelklubb (Helsinki Sailing Club) is another one of these. It is virtually brand new, there are superb showers, saunas, toilets and several meeting rooms. It really puts the UK clubs that we have attended to shame. I have included a photo of the brochure to show the extent of the marina – CW is currently in the top left corner, on the left, above the big tree.

Nice facilities are one thing, nice weather another and the rain stopped at around 10:30 so Julie and I nipped out to go to the local chandler, just across the marina, to buy chart set 'D’ which covers the Finnish archipelago. Unfortunately, having bought the chart we got caught in the next downpour on the way back to the boat, so a change of clothes was required.

By lunch time, the rain stopped and the promised improvement was well and truly on the way. We decided to do the laundry in the hope that the weather would stay dry. There was certainly enough wind to dry clothes, it was blowing a good F6 possibly 7. Louise was due to land at 15:15 and we were going to meet her at the train station, she would get there from the airport on the frequent Finnair bus service. We decided that Elaine and I would go, leaving Julie to guard the washing against showers & Rosemary would keep her company.

Elaine and I caught the 21v bus into town and found the train station with no difficulty. We had some time to kill so we went to a bar to discover that even non-alcoholic drinks cost over six euros each but the barmaid was so touched by my reaction that she kindly gave us both a glass of water with ice in at no charge! Nice girl.

Louise arrived safely and we were back on CW by 17:30. Trevor and Derek, who were in another marina, HMVK on the other side of the bay near HSS marina where we went initially, joined us at around 18:30 and after drinks on board we went to the restaurant on the marina called ‘Blue Peter’. It was expensive, so water was drunk not wine (40 euros a bottle for the cheapest) and the food not the best we’ve had, 4 people had a beetroot and goat cheese affair, Trevor had escalope of pork (ok) and I had burgers (ok too). Alcohol starved, we returned to the boat for nightcaps and Trevor & Derek left to catch the 10:20 bus, they are starting their trip back to Stockholm tomorrow. Then a last chat and everyone was in bed by 11:00 or so, Louise tucked up in a sleeping bag in the main saloon, looking quite comfy.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: