Guat, Honduras, Nic - Best of
Trip Start May 04, 2005
18Trip End ??? ??, 2005
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
5. 2nd loudest thunder in Central America.
4.Skinny animals-Fat people? Which way around is the food chain again? It´s a conundrum!
3.Best of Pimp My Chicken Bus in Guat is 1. the Jesus religious kitsch on the back windows
2. "Patterson Heights Baptist Church" chicken bus
loaded with people who were so NOT on their way
to an evangelical church somewhere in Texas
2. Chickens-Everywhere! On the street, on the road, in houses, on houses, on buses, driving cars. (well we lied about one of those)
How do people know who´s chicken is who´s? Even the national beer is named after chickens, going by the name of, Chicken Beer!
1. "Ahh! Gringa!" - Guatemalan kids have a healthy fear of blonde White women (well probably not all that unfounded really!) as a result of Evil Gringa stories which arose out of a spate of Guatemalan kid abductions by American women back when it was trendy to have a Guat baby(I guess Chihuahuas have since filled that void). Parents still tell kids to stay in bed or else the Gringaaaa will get them etc, and that didnt bode well for Kirsteen (who was a blonde white woman tourist)
4. Loudest Thunder in Central America!
3. Everywhere you look people are lugging around basins full of dinner
2. T-Shirts and baseball caps. As soon as we crossed the border we noticed the Nica passion for baseball caps and bad second-hand t-shirts which people cruelly donated without translating. Some winning formulas included:
->"If you can read this, it´s St. Patrick´s Day" (I mean, what? Do they give free optical care one day a year in honour of Saint Patrick, wait, they dont even have St Patricks Day)
-> We saw a (really) old woman sporting "New Hampshire Gymnastics Championships 1998 State Meet Levels 8,9 and 10"
Maybe Patterson Heights is near New Hampshire
-> A kid in a Winnie The Pooh T-Shirt which I (Emma) was kind of jealous of, until i saw what it said under the picture "Jesus es mi mejor amigo-Jesus is my best friend"...Hmm so who´s Pooh´s friend then?
5. A lot of lightning, without thunder, strange to see but better than a rainy one!
4. Marginaly better fed animals.
3. Fast food chains, everywhere.
2. "Tun On" Chinese Restaurant
1. It´s a draw between Cowboy hats, cowboy boots and "I love Jesus key-chains"