Pink, pink everywhere!

Trip Start Aug 01, 2007
Trip End Jan 11, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Sunday, October 21, 2007

What a week its been! I have to say pretty good for my last one here in Welly.

I actually got active and went to yoga twice (it's "hot"- basically like a steamroom but with no steam... and disgustingly sweaty!). I went for a swim and well, and hiked up Mount Vic. I did it properly this time- like straight up. It took less than half the time than when I went up the road, but wow was that intense. It was such a gorgeous day when I went up, so the views were fantastic- this time I was also able to access the main platform, which had been closed for construction last time. I spent a few minutes watching planes land and take off as well- pretty cool.

AND, I finally had success with my shopping. It took a few days, but I now have two acceptable skirts! 'the Warehouse', which is kind of like Wal-Mart, opened like 3 minutes down the street from the hostel. I went to the grand opening, and did a little clothing shopping and got 30% off everything. Then I spun a wheel and won a $10 giftcard! That was pretty sweet. Although I am wondering if I'm going to be able to fit everything in my pack now- I haven't had to work that magic for 7 weeks now, and I am NOT looking forward to it. I might have to mail some stuff home, or else give it away.

On Saturday night, I was slightly suspicious when Nat barred me from the kitchen. I was NOT, however, expecting a whole pink-themed party for my going away! My liking for pink is a bit of a joke between our clique- while I don't overtly wear it, I have tons of little accessories. So Stu made an AMAZING meal of baked salmon with pink peppercorn sauce (the peppercorns took quite the hunt apparently!) and pink bubbles, with a pink trifle for dessert. Nat even fashioned me a pink sash titling me "Miss Canadia- Wellywood 2007- Canadia is another joke around here. Then there was loads of pink snacks for the larger group and treats too! I was so surprised at all the effort they went through- risking sounding corny, it was really touching.

I had a really good night too- I actually saw the sun rise, which is a bit of a milestone. And what a perfect place, I had a view of the harbour and could see the sun coming from behind Mt. Vic. Gorgeous. I managed to watch the end of the rugby game, then it was straight to bed for me. In the afternoon I met up with the clique for a shandy at Mac's Brewery- a pretty cool place. Then it was just chill mode for the rest of the day. It is Labour day weekend, which co-incided with an Indian festival, so I saw some sweet fireworks out the window too.

My last day in Wellington coincided with a bank holiday, so Nat, Stu and Matt had the day off. We took the opportunity to go on a "family outing", picnic-style, and take the ferry to Matiu/Somes Island. It was fantastic- the weather co-operated and it was a gorgeous day. We picnic-ed atop the summit, right in a field with some sheep. (which also means sheep poo- thankfully Nat brought her sarong to sit on!) On the way back we saw the street performer/sword swallower, Slim pickings. It was really funny and good, then we headed for my last few beers in Welly (for now!). I couldn't have had a better farewell day.

Up early on Tuesday to catch the bus to Auckland- thankfully I had Nat and Matt walking with me, on their way to work, to help my with my luggage load. I bid Nat farewell at the railway station and boarded the bus for the long, 11 HOUR journey! It wasn't as awful as I thought, at least I wasn't driving. I'm spending the day in Auckland preparing for my Fiji journey- having already booked the Feejee Experience, I decided to go all out and book a 6-day sailing tour with Awesome Adventures Fiji. (Thanks Ian!) I got my package from home, with loads of goodies. It was definitely Christmas early. This meant however (ok, also my shopping in Wellington!) that I had way too much stuff, so I had to "un-pack" and prepare a bag of crap for short-term storage here at the IEP office while I'm gone. When I get back I'll have to decide which stuff to donate/mail home. I also booked my Queenstown accommodation- from Dec 21-Jan 3. I actually think if I had waited any longer, I could have possibly been homeless!

I've got to splurge on a cab to the airport as shuttles don't run at 4am. At 7:05 (kiwi time!) I'll be taking off to Paradise!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: