An Eventful 24 Hours

Trip Start Mar 22, 2013
Trip End Mar 30, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did

Flag of United States  , Pennsylvania
Saturday, March 23, 2013

Well, I thought I was done last night when I signed off.  Guess I wasn't.  At last writing, Laura and Kevin went down to the pool to swim while Sandy read and I blogged.  About an hour or so after they left to swim, Kevin came up to the room "by himself."  Very odd.  He said Laura needed another key.  We inquired where Laura was.  Kevin said she was helping a little boy.  Again, why?  He was sick, and she was helping him.  Hmmmm.  After about 20 questions, we finally go to...she was helping a little boy who was at the bottom of the pool.  That got our attention.  

Sandy got dressed as quickly as possible and headed with Kevin down to the pool.  Apparently there were lots of kids playing in the pool, and they all got ready to leave at the same time.  Laura went looking for Kevin's goggles and saw them at the bottom of the pool...along with a motionless little kid about 10 years old.  She jumped in trying to lift him from the bottom with no avail, then came up and yelled for help.  A big guy helped her bring the kid out and they started CPR while someone called 911.  By the time they took the kid away in an ambulance, he was conscious, alert and talking.  Said they'd probably keep him overnight for observation.  Couldn't if he was running and slipped and hit his head, or just overcome with water.   Laura was a bit shaken up, but OK.  Not sure if she saved the kid's life as one young lady bystander said, but she was definitely involved in his rescue.  Very proud of her.  

We finally slept.  I slept like a rock.  Plan was to be up at 7:00 and out the door by 8:00 for a free breakfast (have I said how much I love Crowne Plaza?).  Well, we were only about an hour late.  Breakfast at 9:00...but worth the good night's sleep for all.  During breakfast Laura called the Mother of the little boy she helped last night.  She said he was still at the hospital doing tests, but he was doing fine and would make a full recovery.  Good news/

Then we headed for downtown Philly.  Parked under the Independence Square and headed to the Liberty Bell.  Quite a line, so Laura and Kevin went to the Visitors Center for tickets to Independence Hall.  Gotta say, lots of good things to see in a small area.  Saw the bell.  Very impressive.  Lots of people, so our time to see Independence Hall was not until 1:40 pm.  

After the bell we headed for Ben Franklin's Grave.  It's in the cemetery at Christ Church about three blocks from Independence Hall.  He's buried with his wife, Deborah.  Interesting that so many people wanted to see his grave that they cut a hole in the wall surrounding the cemetery for tourists to view his grave.  Now tourists can see it and many throw pennies and other coins onto his and Deborah's grave.  Of course we did...we're tourists!!!

Ben Franklin's grave is right on the way to see Betsy Ross's house.  It was about three more blocks from Franklin's grave.  I had been there on my baseball oddessy, but Sandy, Laura and Kevin had not.  I thought they'd like it.  And they did.  Betsy Ross, of course was commissioned by George Washington, Robert Morris and Geoge Ross (related to her late husband) to make the first American flag.  It's a great tour if you ever get to Philly.  

Then we headed to a park where Laura and Kevin played putt-putt golf while Grandma and I headed to the Independence Hall visitors center for a Diet Coke and place to sit down!  I wanted to head to Graff House where Jefferson actually wrote the Declaration of Independence, but it was closed and Sandy didn't want to walk that far (two blocks???) just to see the outside.  

After meeting up with the "kids," we headed for our appointment at Independence Hall.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the security.  It was tighter than I remember it being last time I visited.  Small price to pay to view some of the great locations in our country's history.  

Once inside, we were seated with 40 other visitors and welcomed by a great guide named Gus. African American guy who was great with history and with people.  He asked several quesions about Independence Hall and being the history major I was, I answered several.  It was a great tour of an awesome building.  Some people don't realize the US Constitution was signed in this same building.  The ultimate "two-fer!"  Again, great tour.

Then we headed for Pat's - King of Steaks for a Philly was awesome!

Then we headed to "fun for Kevin."  Dave and Busters.  We got him a card and Laura played games with him while Sandy and I sat at a table...God Bless my wife...she sat there while I watched men's basketball, women's basketball and golf on TV and not once complained that she could be back in the hotel taking a nap!!!  Guess she knew what she was getting into 38+ years ago!

Back to the hotel and being the good Grandpa, I took Kevin swimming, keeping a closer eye on him than usual considering last night's activities.  Besides that, it gave me a chance to drink another beer and blog!!!  

We'll see what the rest of the evening brings!  But suffice to say, it's already been an eventful 24 hours!!!    

Not much else to report except called out for local pizza.  Pete' was OK, but nothing to write home about, although it appears I am.  Then it was off to bed.  Take care my friends.  Tomorrow more Philly and then off to DC.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: