The Diamondbacks and Uncle Johnny

Trip Start Apr 02, 2011
Trip End Sep 29, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Arizona
Sunday, August 14, 2011

Up at 8:00, and had my free breakfast downstairs. Great omelet. Then I did one of my favorite things...sat in my room and read the Sunday paper. Very relaxing.

Took off for the game about 10:30. Gates open at 11:00. Parked in their parking garage right across the street ($12), and headed for the game. They too have brought together two of their sports teams to share parking (like Philly). The Suns play in the arena next to the ballpark. Picked up a nice $60 ticket that was 15 rows behind the Mets dugout. Very nice.

Walked all around the ballpark. Very nicely done. Great area called "The Sandlot" in the left field upper deck stands for the kids with whiffle ball for the young ones and an actual batting cage for the older kids. Nice playground. Never seen one in a Major Leage park. Several in Minor League venues. It's amazing what food you have at the park nowadays. Used to be peanuts, popcorn, dogs, brats and beer. At Chase Field they have a Subway, a Panda Express, and a Fat Burger (just to name a few) along with all kinds of alcahol...mixed drinks, margaritas, and even specialty beers. My how times have changed.

Chase Field is a park with a retractable roof, and man do they need it here with the temperature going to be 107 degrees today. (But it's a dry heat....Yea, so's my oven, but I don't LIVE there!) Nice and cool inside the park. The field was constructed in 1998 and was known for a couple years as Bank One Park. Shortly thereafter, Chase took over. They played the 2011 All Star Game at the park. Great scoreboard with all the info you'd want to know about that game. Good in-game promotions. Very fan and family friendly. The seat I had didn't have anyone else in the row until just before game time, and there were a lot of empty seats around me. Interestingly, the park holds 46K, but only 30K attended that game...and that's for a team that's in first place! Amazing.

Good game. A see-saw affair that saw the lead change hands a couple of times before the Diamondbacks put it away in the 8th. Final score Arizona Diamonback 5 - NY Mets 3. The pitcher for the D-Backs (ex-Cub Jason Marquis) got hit with a line drive off his leg in one inning, but he continued to pitch another inning until he hurt it again the next inning. Later they discovered he had broken his leg from the line drive...and pitched another inning on a broken leg...are you kidding me? Couldn't find a "worthy" kid around me to give the ball to, but found one on the way out. Mom and Dad and kid were all very appreciative.

After the game and feelilng the heat walking back to my car, I headed to Uncle Johnny and Aunt Rose's house. They live in Sun City West. Uncle Johnny is quite a guy. Excellent student. Didn't get a "B" until he was in engineering school at the U of I. Retired at 55. Loves to play golf. He's 6 years younger than my Mom. He and Rose are just great people. Great dinner at Outback and then back to my hotel. Gotta get up and head to San Diego for the game tomorrow.

21 down and 9 to go!!!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


jr. on

HaPPy to hear you are having a great when you come to Seattle, wear your Comfy shoes,, lot to see it a short time..looking forward to your Short visit,,

John Huffman on

Dave, you comment on the retractable roof reminded me of the Administrative Services Management meeting held in Phoenix in 1998 or maybe spring of 1999. One of the activities was to attend the Diamondbacks game. The seats were in the nosebleed section, supplemental oxygen was an upcharge. Turns out we sat on the first base side with the roof open and absolutely fried. My recollection is most of the folks left once dehydration took full effect.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: