... be there by 4:30

Trip Start May 31, 2012
Trip End Aug 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Ontario,
Saturday, June 2, 2012

    Up at 4:30 am to catch the 5:13 train in Sudbury, which ended up being the 7:30 train in Sudbury. Hanging out in the Sudbury Junction train station for 2 and a half hours turned out to not be as exciting as it sounds, and smelled more like a urinal than one would think. Either way, we weren't too put off, we'd been through worse and we weren't in a rush. The two guys waiting outside to pick up passengers were pretty mad though. Through a constant refrain of 'This is ridiculous' from one guy and 'Well, I'm never taking the train' from the other, we waited patiently for the train to arrive for some much needed peace and quiet.
    It was a fantastic trip with lots of beautiful scenery and great food (choices between steak, pickerel, bbq chicken kabobs and veggie chili for dinner one night). We saw some wildlife, but I won't spoil the surprise of what we saw. We'll wait for Kara's weekly column 'Wildlife Wednesdays' for that, hopefully starting later today!
    We met lots of interesting people on the train, including a nice couple from Peterborough, a guy who was perpetually drunk (he wasn't as much fun as he sounds), and a cool couple from Ottawa who were taking the train to Vancouver and then biking back to Ottawa. (Here's a link to their blog; http://emilyetbrent.wordpress.com/).
    We had an upper and lower berth, which folded into our seats magically when we went for breakfast (and then back to our beds when were gone for supper). The bottom was for sleeping and the top was for partying. It reminded us of that scene in 'Some Like it Hot' with Jack Lemmon in his berth with about 6 women drinking gin or something, except it was only Kara and I drinking whiskey, which was ok for us! The sleeping on the bottom bunk was somewhat tricky, but Kara figured out a new mode of sleeping which involved being half up on the window sill to keep from rocking too much. I did not figure out a new mode of sleeping and thus, when the train was too 'tilty', I nearly fell out of the berth numerous times, waking with a start each time, and in my sleepy haze thinking we were going way too fast with recurring scenes of that derailment in Burlington last year. We slept alright though overall. The trick is, you've just got to convince yourself you're in a moving car, in a full bed.
    We had a 3 hour stop in Winnipeg and two 15 minute stops in Hornepayne, ON and Melville, SK, but other than that we were on the train the entire 2 days. Lots of reading and crib games, one ill-fated Scrabble game, plenty of time spent staring out the window, tonnes of good food and drinking whiskey in the top bunk... and with that we were in Edmonton.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: