Temples, Tuk Tuks and Tattoos...

Trip Start Mar 03, 2010
Trip End May 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Thailand  ,
Monday, March 8, 2010

Fully refreshed from a decent nights sleep, we ventured back out into the heat of Bangkok and went south, to Yaowarat and Pahurat, which are the Chinatown and Little India districts.  We jumped on the boat to the nearest station, got lost a few times and ended up wondering around a load of back alleys, full of tiny houses, cats, rats, dried food and Chinese people.  It's better getting lost, you just end up wondering around with no plan and you see so much more than if you were trying to reach a certain place. Plus it makes me sound far more worldly, when in fact I spent most of the time prodding the food and moaning that I was hot.  I'm a huge fan of Chinatowns though, I seem to always go to them whatever city I am in the world (except for London's, it's not very good).

We spent the afternoon at Wat Pho, a temple just south of the Royal Palace.  It houses what is apparently the largest reclining Buddha in the world — gold plated, 46 meters long, 15 meters high, with inlaid mother of pearl soles.  It's also home to a lot of other Buddha statues, buildings and all other things I find interesting and pretty.  Just check the photos out, ta.

In the evening I did my travel tradition (of sorts).  I got another Tattoo.  The previous night I scouted the area near our hotel for local Tattooists, finally meeting a guy called Jin from South Korea, and after seeing his artwork (And previous tattoo photos) I got him to draw up my ideas, and quite frankly, I was blown away by him.  The detail, the depth, the dedication of this guy to his work, well I knew there and then I wanted him to do it.  So a day later I turned up, saw the finished art work, gave him a massive high 5 for doing it far better than the idea in my head, then sat there for NINE flipping hours.  The first four were fine.  I watched some DVD's, ate some food, played with the owners kids teaching them naughties in English. Then as time went on, my arm became sore, and the last two hours I spent swearing I would never be tattooed again (I did the same in Bali).  Still, the end result, in my opinion, is somewhat fantastic.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: