Surf, Surf everywhere but not a wave to ride :(

Trip Start Oct 11, 2009
Trip End Mar 10, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Morocco  , Doukkala-Abda,
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In a desperate search for waves we headed further south to Oulidida where they was meant to be a surf camp that had waves at its door step. We arrived as the sunset was nearing. We parked in another carpark, with guardian, by a beautiful lagoon which emptied into the ocean between 2 headlands and an island in between. The openings to the ocean were only very narrow and the water surged through. At low tide you could literally jump across to the island then onto the opposite headland. This was in my opinion the most beautiful spot on our entire trip. The girl s headed up to internet to get some more info on the BA strike while I scoped out the options for surf near where we had parked . The waves were in the single - double over head range, that is the wave faces were between twice to three times my height. Super, problem was that no one else was out surfing and from what I could see there were sharp exposed and submerged jagged rocks everywhere… this couldn't be the right spot, if it was here then I need some local knowledge to know where was relatively safe to even get out past the breakers…. Or if I was with some others going out to this spot for the first time, at least then we could look out for each other – but to go out in big surf  alone is dumb and to have no real knowledge of the spot and the dangers is seriously stupid… so no surf for me L I was a bit pissed but was not about to risk my life either.   So I had to be satisfied with a swim in the lagoon.  The girls came back and said that Val would move her flight from Barcelona to OZ to the 3rd. She would keep her flight from Marrakesh to Barcelona and organize a return flight to Scotland and spend Christmas and New Year with her brother’s family.

I thought this one through and on the face of it sounded like a good option, but in practice she would need to take 4 or 5 additional flights to do it and if on the return leg there were any problem or delays she would miss the flight from Barcelona, and with snow falling all over the UK already the possibility of a problem seemed pretty high to me. Val would be better off taking her chances with the strike. If it went on then BA would try to put her on another carrier, otherwise her travel insurance would cover the flight home. I went through this with Val and she came round to my way of thinking.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: