Bucket Bonanza

Trip Start Feb 01, 2006
Trip End May 04, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Saturday, February 25, 2006

Whew I have some catching up to do, so I will make it pretty brief here.

So as I was getting ready to leave Koh Tao and head to Krabi for some rock climbing, I got an email from ny friend from Clark, Michelle saying that she was currently in Koh Phangan. My initial plan was to go to Krabi then back track nine hours back to Koh Phangam, and eventually go back to Krabi to meet Mel at the airport on March 1st.As I was trying to figure out how I would fit in all of the things I wanted to do and travel a total of 27 hours, it hit me that I should just head back to Koh Phangan and meet Michelle that day. I mean it was only about an hour from where I was. I guess that is one down side to traveling solo, sometimes some common sense solutions about shere to go and what to do almost slip right under the radar.

So anyway I headed back to Koh Phangan, at first I wasn't that wild about going back there, seeing as how I had already spent about a week of my trip there, but we were going to stay at a beach that was on completely on the other side of the island, and is much more quiet and laid back. While the beach itself (Haad Yao) had a much more serene, quiet, kind of vibe we ended up partying as much if not more than I did the first time around in Koh Phangan.

When I got off the ferry I passed by all the taxi's and went and rented a motor bike, which was actually really convenient seeing as how I was already completely familiar with the island by now. I headed up to Haad Yao beach stopping a couple times along the way to try and call Michelle, but unfortunately the cell number she gave me wasn't working, I tried emailing too hoping that she had left me the name of the bungalow she was staying at, but no luck there either. I was starting to think she was tring to avoid me altogether, after all the beach probably had about ten separate resorts on it spread out over about a half a mile, so how was I supposed to find her, right? So I pulled in to one at random and just started walking down the bach, and BAM there she was! It was a great coincidence that she happened to be on the beach because other wise it easily could have been a day or two of email tag before we were able to meet up.

Anyway it was very cool to see her (we hadn't seen each other since college), and it was also really nice just to see a familiar face period. She was traveling with three other people; Tim her Kiwi friend from South Korea (they both are english teachers there), En Sue (sp?) Tim's girlfriend, and Clint a kid from Arkansas who they had met at the airport. They were all fun cool people, and it was nice to kind of have an instant group of friends after weeks of kind of meeting-people-here-and-there.

Soooo, rather than trying to put the whole three days in a story format I am just going to list the high lights (I'm lazy what can I say):

Staying at a reggae bar till late at night, drinking buckets and playing connect four with the Rasta-Thai owner. We were the only people there and it was pretty much a tree fort in the middle of the woods, so it was a pretty surreal.

Taking Michelle on a motorbike ride up an abandoned caves in road, and making her so worried that she was going to fall off that she almost started crying (I guess it makes me a little bit of a bully, but I found that pretty amusing, haha)

Stopping at an out of the way Wat (temple), and talking (well more gesturing) with a reaaaally old toothless monk, who gave us some little stone buddha images and told us to make necklaces out of them. He also kept touching the strap of Michelle's bikini top I thought he was just interested in the beads on it, but she was starting to worry that this 90 year old guy was having some un-monkly thoughts, haha.

Going to the same bar two nights in a row at three in the morning and realizing that we must have made an impression the night before, because the people that worked there remembered our names, and we din't even recognize them...

Sitting on the beach shooting the sheeet all day...

Having one more bucket-filled night on Haad Rin beach...

So after three (maybe four) days of fun in the sun on Koh Phangan I headed over to Krabi to do some rock climbing (which is where I am right now), but I will save that for another entry...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: