Becoming Canadian

Trip Start Feb 16, 2011
Trip End Jun 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Saturday, April 16, 2011

Howdy folks,

Well it wasn't hard to catch a free bus from the hostel to downtown Seattle to catch the connection to Vancouver. I boarded the coach at 10:15am and by 2pm I had arrived in Vancouver! The boarder control guard was serious, but not a jerk so it was easy enough to get my passport stamped and my visa issued. Two years to run amok in Canadia!

When they dropped us off it was at a different station than I had anticipated so I had about a 40 minute walk up to the hostel in downtown Vancouver. I later learned that if I had the correct change on me I could have caught the Skytrain most of the way there, but oh well! I checked in and because I had some time I took a little walk around the block. Apparently Vancouver has more sushi bars than Tokyo and there a numerous pizza places so I knew that I wouldn't go hungry. The Vancouver Canucks were playing hockey that night so I decided to watch the first period on TV, but I was falling asleep so I had an early night.

My first full day in Vancouver was spent getting a social security number, a bank account and then seeing a few of the sights. I took a ride up to the Lookout, but it was fairly overcast so I decided to come back in the evening. I walked around Canada Place down to Gastown to have a look at the Steam Clock and the statue of 'Gassy' Jack, the bloke whom it is named after. I went to the sushi restaurant across the road for dinner which was very nice and then back to the Lookout for the view of the lights around the town.

Yesterday I woke up with a sore foot which hurt to walk on so I decided that after I signed up to a mobile number that I would take a bicycle ride around Stanley Park instead. Unfortunately the park was on the other side of the CBD so I walked down which was a mistake. Anyway I hired a bicycle and did the 6km ride around the seawall which encompasses the park which was fantastic! The size and proximity to the CBD makes the park just amazing  The park itself holds numerous activities such as the aquarium, cricket field, large old growth trees, lakes and walking trails. On the far side of the park was even a beach which would have been pretty chilly to swim in. After going for an off road excursion through the middle of the park (which is probably why I was so sore) I continued around to English Bay and past Yaletown where the highrise apartments are. I cut back through to Gastown and along the waterfront back to where I had begun. All up it was $25 for 4 hours of riding - pretty good value.

I decided to catch a bus back to the hostel because my foot was really aching now so I hobbled back and took it easy for the rest of the night. The Canucks were playing the second round of the playoffs last night so I watched the game on TV and took it easy. This morning thankfully my foot is feeling better, but I am going to have an easy day today. The next week I have in Vancouver is just job hunting so there won't be many interesting things to report.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Linna on

Take it easy with all the walking Dan.. your feet will fall off!
Ahh, you've brought back so many fond memories of van.. Love yaletown and kitsilano in particular... and all the salmon!! Have u tried the salmon jerky yet?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: