Thermal baths and lots more driving

Trip Start Apr 05, 2010
Trip End May 09, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Samay Wasi

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Friday, April 30, 2010

It was an early start today as we had to be ready to leave at 5am. We were only 10 minutes late leaving, a big improvement on the day before! It was still dark and I fell asleep in the 4x4 as we drove 45 minutes to see the geysers. Unfortunately it was still dark so we couldn't see them properly but we could see and hear the steam.

We drove 30 minutes to the natural hot springs and thermal baths at 4,800m above sea level. It was freezing when we got there and just starting to snow. Tad and Bec were both excited because they had never seen it snow before, they had seen snow but not actual snowing! 5 of us got in the thermal baths – me, Emma, Al, Mikaela and Sadie. It was lovely and warm, like getting into a bath. We were worried it would be cold when we got out after 30 minutes but it wasn't that bad. My body was so warm that it just felt cool when I got out, not freezing cold. We had breakfast in a building near the baths. I was warmed up after swimming and just had a jumper on and everyone who hadn't gone swimming was huddled up in thick coats with a scarf and gloves on!

We left the cooks at the hot springs where they were preparing lunch and drove 40 minutes to see Laguna Verde – the Green Lake – at 4,300m above sea level. The colour is due to high concentrations of copper deposits in the water. We drove back to the hot springs to pick up the cooks. It was really snowing heavily by now and settling. We drove for almost 3 hours through the snow to our lunch stop. I slept for part of the journey. We were a lot lower altitude at the lunch stop and the snow had become rain.

We had an hour for lunch and then drove another 3.5 hours back to our hotel in Uyuni. I was in charge of the music in our 4x4 after lunch as there was an ipod connector. There were some problems with 2 of the 4x4s on the way and we had to stop a few times for the drivers to try and sort them out but we all made it back in one piece to the hotel at 5.15pm – a very long day.The thermal baths were the highlight of the day today but I didn't enjoy
all the driving to get back to Uyuni.

We arranged to meet for dinner at 7.30pm and I went to an internet cafe to try and update the blog. The computer was really slow and I didn't get much done. I went back to the hotel and had a lovely long shower before we met for dinner. We went to a pizza restaurant and the food was delicious. I was back at the hotel by 10pm. I read my book in bed for an hour and then had a really great night's sleep.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: