Isla Del Sol

Trip Start Apr 02, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
not worth a mention

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Saturday, June 14, 2008

The morning we woke to go to Isla del Sol it was pouring rain. There had been thunder and lightening all night and it was not letting up. Donegal Emer texted and suggested we take the next ferry at 1pm. This meant we would go straight to the south of the island (originally we were due to go to the North and do a 3hr trek South). I was so happy rolling over and going back to sleep. The weather eventually cleared at around 11am so we took the 1pm ferry.
We booked everything through Isla Del Sol Tours which is located beside the Ambassador in Copacabana but realised about 24 hours later that wed been taken for a ride in terms of prices.
The ferry to the Island of the Sun took about two hours and we were greeted by islanders trying to lure us to their hostels/hotels/B&Bs. We were pre-booked into Hostel Isla del Sol and "Johnny" who was about 10 said hed bring us there, after we plagued him for answers as to why he wasnt in school.
"School is over today", he said. Hmmm. Thought we were going to collapse before we got to the Hostel. The amount of steps wed to climb was not funny. Isla del Sol (or the Island of the Sun) is the legendary Inca creation site and the birthplace of the sun in Inca mythology.
So, our 25 minute walk was like a pre-Inca trail. We all looked at each other panting wondering how we would ever trek to Matchu Pitchu in a weeks time.
After checking in and admiring the view, we took a walk (more panting) and eventually got something to eat that evening (pizzeria).
Johnny told us that a festival celebrating St. Anthony was on that night. On our way back from the restaurant we ended up following a marching band and dancing women to the church grounds, where music (three brass bands thank you very much!) and dancing continued all night. We gave up after about an hour and went to bed - wrecked from a combination of exercise and altitude.
One of the bands (all men) stayed up all night outside our Hostel and drank beer until 8am. Then at 9am (as the women and children tended to the sheep and llamas) they went back down to the church grounds and struck up again. Admittedly there was dodgy note playing - but well put that down to lack of sleep! 
Took the 11am boat back to Copacabana. Ive never experienced sea sickness like it before. Head between the legs as Michael distributed plastic bags to the sick passengers! 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents