Koh Phangan - New Year's Eve!!

Trip Start Sep 27, 2012
Trip End Jan 16, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Happy new year!!! Full moon party

Flag of Thailand  ,
Monday, December 31, 2012

We had our ferry booked to Koh Phangan, the port was half hour away from our hostel and was going to cost us 600 baht, having just paid 500 baht to get from our hotel at Lamai beach we were somewhat peeved at that prospect. But, Kat and the girls who were staying in the same hostel decided to get the speedboat and let us have their free transfer to the port.. Luckily the Thai's disorganisation works against them too sometimes, he didn't ask for a ticket, nice lil freebie for us both! We met the Emmas here and Emma J did my hair (thanks em!) We all waited under the shelter from the rain for ages for our ferry as, of course, it was late! I decided to borrow a man's umbrella and go buy us all some ponchos just in time as we then had to run down the pier in the torrential rain looking like jelly babies in our coloured plastic macs lol. George had yellow and I had purple, naturally! But didn't manage to get photos of them because of the rain and protecting the camera. No ruined hair or makeup though, yesss! Because of the weather the sea was rough.. not good for ferries, but we made it in one piece to Koh Phangan where we were literally shoved into the back of another tuk tuk with ten other people which took us to the beach that the party was on, Haad Rin!
We grabbed a table in a restaurant and ordered some food.. I relived my face painter days and painted all of us with some UV paint. But, unfortunately by this point, George had started to get a headache that was slowly turning into a migraine. Our next mission was medicine purchase, I dealt with that while George was sweating and trying not to faint. We made our way onto the beach and got George a coca cola to sip in hope the sugar gave her a boost, we let the others go on as George by this point couldn't really stand for long. We sat in a bar overlooking the beach and I got stuck in to my bucket that I'd bought. I was convinced I got ripped off and there was no alcohol in it but George tells me I was soon very loud and wanted to dance! Luckily the painkillers had sorted George out by about 11.30pm so we enjoyed chatting to lots of people, we even stumbled across another girly couple which was refreshing seeing as we've been hit on left, right and centre for a while now! (Men and one girl for George!)
By the time midnight came we were having a ball and we counted down with the other 50,000 people and watched the fireworks as it struck midnight.
We had a boogy, I had a beer after my bucket (very merry!) and we carried on chatting to various different people we met, English, Canadian, American, South African, Australian... The sights we saw though were crazy! Old man raving, men pissing in the sea, kids asleep under sheets while their Thai parents sold colourful things, bucket sellers holding signs that read "I am not a cunt!" Plus lots more! We were on the same beach that an English guy got shot on but didn't see or hear it on the night. We went for a wander amongst the masses of amazing food being sold and treated ourselves to a doughnut each! By this time it was about 4.30am (the time actually flew!) but George started to go down hill again and soberly looked drunk as she threw up in a bucket and took more medicine!
We managed to get the front seats of a tuk tuk back to the pier, after George gathered herself, and got on board our ferry at 7am back to Koh Samui. What a night, crazy crazy but worth seeing! Happy New Year!! Time to recover!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: