DDD-Tales of the Riverbank/Excitement in Kochi

Trip Start Sep 02, 2012
Trip End Oct 09, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bombay Tiffanys Hotel Mysore
Read my review - 3/5 stars

Flag of India  , Karnataka,
Thursday, October 4, 2012

Varkala had been brilliant and we were
sad to leave – the following destination had a lot to live up to.
We were off early the next morning after breakfast for a 2 hour
train journey to Kerala Backwaters, this was followed by a one
and a half hour boat trip to our homestay accommodation.  The boat
 journey was fascinating – there were people all along the river washing
themselves and their children, washing their clothes or washing their
food. Gopa and his wife were our hosts and we had meals in his home,
eventhough me, Kate, Sandy & Zita stayed in his other house, which
was lovely. Fred & Ginger were with a different family whose house
was a few doors down , and the others were in a home across the
river – all houses were in a fabulous position by the riverside. Kate & I
were a bit tired and went for a lie down – in the hammocks in the
garden. Kate managed this ok although I hadn't watched her 'method'.
My hammock seemt really high – about 5ft – and I couldn't pull it down
low enough for me to sit on. I tried going for it forward, but
couldn't lift my leg up high enough. I would have asked Kate for some
assisstance but she was too busy giggling at my pathetic efforts.  I then went
and got a chair, and with a struggle managed to launch myself
onto the hammock, but then I was face down and how difficult was that trying to
turn myself over with my hands and feet going through the holes of
the hammock! I was knackered by the time I finally got into
 Gopa took us for an educational walk round, he explained about coconut
trees, paddy fields and lots of other stuff. We then took a rowing boat back to his
house. Had a lovely peaceful one night stay, and our hosts were very
warm and welcoming.

The following morning we were off again
to Kochi.

After the boat ride back to the village,
 we caught a local bus which we were expecting to fight our way onto, 
but it turned out to be quite empty when we got on, so no panic. A
couple of hours later we were in Intrepid's own accommodation in
Kochi.- a lovely detached house set in landscaped gardens. We had a
bit of an orientation walk, then went for lunch. Later we caught the
ferry and went further into the town around the jewish quarter, which
was interesting. The following morning we got up at 6 so we could get
a tuk tuk to the harbour to the fish market, but for some reason
they weren't allowing foreigners into the area, so we went for a walk
instead along the river. Me and Ginger went for a bit of a shopping
trip and were drawn into yet another jewellery shop, and purchased
more earrings – looks like they're breeding in my case! We forgot
to pick up Fred's bananas (mainly because we didn't see them hanging
up amongst the earrings.)  Back at the lodge Santo and his mates gave us
 a bit of a cooking lesson with the fresh fish bought earlier at the
market. They then served us up a lovely lunch and a scrummy banana pudding.
Had to meet at 3.45 as we were leaving early to catch another overnight train.
Before we left I asked Santo how long the taxi trip to the station
was, and he said about an hour – we went in 3 taxis. En route our
driver asked which station we needed. We didn't know – as we assumed that
as he was the driver he would have been given the instructions. 20
minutes later, our taxi arrived at the station. We smelt a rat. The
other 2 cars weren't there, and he was insisting we get out of the car
and opened the boot to extract our luggage. We knew something was
wrong as the journey had been much quicker than we expected, plus
there was a clue in the fact that only our car was there. Me and
Kate stayed put in the taxi and Fred and Ginger watched over the
luggage in the boot while the driver was on the phone supposedly
trying to find out where Santo and the rest of them were. He then
insisted they were all waiting on platform 4 for us – we didn't
believe that to be true, cause we always all meet up together at the
entrance of places to make sure we've all arrived ok. Fred &
Ginger went to check, as he was so insistent, but of course they
weren't there. Got Santo's mobile number and made the driver ring
him and yes, he'd taken us to the wrong station! The air was blue.
Eventually arrived at the correct station and met up with the rest of our group. 
The station platforms are amazingly long and it takes about 15 minutes
to walk down to the front end – this is because the trains have 20
carriages! Mental. Had a good journey, although very long – and
arrived about 7 am in Bangalore. We then had to catch another train
for the 3 hour trip to Mysore.
Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


AT on

Are you sure your driver wasn't one of the Mysore monkeys getting hiis own back for the great banana swindle?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: