Doris's Dear Diary - Catch Up And Summary So Far

Trip Start Sep 02, 2012
Trip End Oct 10, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of India  , Rajasthan,
Monday, September 10, 2012

 My brain's gone into meltdown, it's so hot.  Hot in the morning, hot in the afternoon and bloody hot at night when you're trying to sleep!   And if that's not enough – the
food's hot – it's curry for breakfast, curry for dinner and guess what - yes curry for tea!   So I'm sweating from the heat, and it needs no imagination what's happening from the food!
Probably be down to about 3 stone when I get home.   Also, my camera
has come out in sympathy – started vibrating every time I turned it on – it's gone mental!
But we're coping and having a brilliant time.

 So, to recap – Sunday on arrival in Delhi, we met up with our fellow travellers and guide DJ (that's his name – he isn't actually a DJ, or at least hasn't mentioned it yet, although I may start getting suspicious if he whips out his records and starts doing a bit of scratching!)
We stayed the night in Hotel Perfect. Nice comfortable hotel and spent a lovely evening with my old buddies Fred & Ginger catching up.  

 Monday:  We were in Delhi all day – had a trip round old Delhi, then at teatime went for the overnight train to Jaisalmer – that experience is pretty much well covered in Ginger's blog, but I'm just adding my bit.  Although the beds were ok and the air-con efficient, there was such a palava going on throughout the night with the constant comings and goings up and down the aisle, it was impossible to sleep.  Me and Ginger were on nightwatch-lady patrol - being on the bottom bunks - all ready to pounce and give 'em what for should anyone decide they liked the look of any of our luggage.   Admittedly, for extra protection, we did have the benefit of  'modesty curtains' (AKA - 2 bits of tatty cloth) which were held together (slightly) with 2 bits of velcro, but no way did I expect Velcro Security to be listed in my insurance policy should my case get nicked, so our guard duty was imperative.  Providing we didn't want to sleep, the constant upheaval was pretty good entertainment.  Various body parts kept thrusting through our security velcro into our compartment and thus stealing our modesty! - (and, incidentally, they didn't feel a need to stick it back together and repair the damage done, so us nightwatch-women were in and out of bed velcroing all night long - and keeping our sleeping party and luggage safe.  Job well done - what troupers!!!

  Tuesday – Thursday Jaisalmer:    We stayed in the Deepak Hotel in the old Fort – what a fabulous place – (will download pics if ever my camera stops jigging about long enough to do it).   Did some sightseeing - the buildings are absolutely amazing in this fort and after we'd been down to see the lake, a few of us called in to have a swim in the pool belonging to royalty – incidentally, they didn't join us – probably out shopping or summat.   We'd been so unbelievably hot and it was absolutely wonderful.  I'd got my camcorder with me, so it was a perfect opportunity to actually use it for the first time by recording a bit of poetry in motion - otherwise known as unsyncronised swimming!  Buzby Berkerley eat your heart out!  The swimming team spent a good, say 5 whole minutes in rehearsal, and the result was, well lets just say rubbish!  On a positive note though, good entertainment watching the re-run!  Good tip for bringing down your temperature - wrap your hot bits in soaking wet swimwear - could be your own or in my case, I used Maddie's - worked a treat!  

 That takes us to Thursday night when we had the camel safari. What fun that was – apart from the 3rd degree burns and severe bruising to my bum.  We had a couple of hours on the camels before reaching the desert – Fred of Arabia looked like he'd been born on a camel – he was a natural, although he and his camel didn't really hit it off – it kept kicking him.  There was also a bit of friction between Fred's camel and Maddie's, which was trotting on behind.  Rumour has it that Fred's camel was passing wind and Maddie's camel, being in the firing line, was not amused - now I reckon it's debatable who was the culprit in this incident!  Then Fred almost finished up with serious injuries - or so he tells us.  Apparently when he tried to dismounted, the beast chucked him off then tried to sit on him!  Ginger did a graceful backflip on her dismount – as one might expect, forever the elegant Princess!

 Just as we were watching the sun go down on top of a sand dune, a sandstorm suddenly blew up and within seconds we couldn't see a thing.  We were a bit panicky trying to get back down to our camp whilst struggling to open our eyes.  We then had a couple of downpours which in turn brought out hundreds of beetles from their homes in the sand.  

 The desert men made us a lovely meal – which we would have eaten round our camp fire had the rain not put it out.  DJ was concerned that the weather might get nasty during the night – there had been earlier forecasts that we might be in for some heavy rain and the consequences of us being stranded there was worrying him, plus a couple of wild dogs had started lurking round our camp – so we took a vote on whether we should stay or should we go.  The German girls were really disappointed when the majority voted to pack up and leave, but it wasn't worth the risk.  Ginger lost her camera – so we were all on a mission looking high and low for it - well that was until she suddenly remembered her travel insurance which covers such devastating losses - and strangely, the thoughts of a spanking new one pretty much immediately crushed the disappointment.  But there was to be a further disappointment. Bugger me, Fred finds it in his pocket!  Nice one Fred!  Oh what a blow!  Ginger was asleep all the way back to the Deepak.  Good job they hadn't rented our rooms out.

Friday – Ginger was asleep for the whole 6 hour bus trip to Jodhpur today.   Now I think about it, she was laid on the seat falling asleep when we were in the desert last night, and then she slept all the way back in the car from the camp to the hotel.  She's been asleep since we got to Jodhpuh and it seems she has food poisoning/gastro enteritis.   Hope she feels much better by tomorrow for our sightseeing trip round Jodhpuh (or the Blue City as its called, cause all the buildings are painted red - joke! blue) – it looks fascinating.  It's so lucky that we didn't stay in the desert overnight with Ginger being so ill - that really would've been a nightmare.  It's been absolutely chucking it down all day  –
first rain we've had.

Excerpt Taken From Doris's Diary Copyright 2012
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Debbie Muhleisen on

Look after Ginger as she is very precious to us. Sounds like a great trip guys....keep up the good work xx

Old "Evil on

Oh Ginger take a teaspoon of cement and toughen the hell up girl!!!!
Seriously darl get well soon as it sounds like a lot of fun is to be had there.
Take care xx

Sandy Raynor on

Read all the blogs and seen all the pictures, what a holiday! Hope everyone is now recovered from the Delli Belly! Cant wait for the next instalment, very well written and very amusing, feel I have been there with you all, but glad I am at home here in Spain without sleeping sickness and poorly tum. Doris sent the first few blogs to the wrong email address, not had that one since we lived in UK, typical.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: