Luxery Accomodations = Blah

Trip Start Aug 26, 2010
Trip End Sep 13, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The bus took me to the major beach in Cape Trib....this is where the day trippers had lunch and were hanging out for an hour.  I joined them for 15 minutes.  I remember this beach being really big and soft (for OZ that is)...there were palm trees in the background and the tides rolled in long, smooth and steady.   I took a few pics to remember it and back on the bus.  Guess who I saw...the Germans from Night hike and ziplining..they were everywhere...HA...No...Cape Trib is just a small place.  The tour guide was an older gent....not like the cool hippie aussie from the day before.  He took us to the famous Daintree ice cream store.....where they are known for their exotic fruit flavors.  I can't remember what I had, but it was was more about the novelty than excellent flavors.  Next stop was a Daintree River Tour.  Ya know...I forgot a few cool things about getting into Cape Trib.  First, there is a road that is in the middle of a river and 1/2 the time it has to be crossed while water runs through it.  No problems for a bus....but small cars could have issues.  I loved it because...this really made you feel like it was secluded and off the grid (which it actually cell reception or internet in Cape Trib). Second, 10 minutes after the river road there is a famous sign of a cassowary crossing.  And the hippies of Cape Trib wrote on it.."Chill out...not flat out".  Basically saying relax...but don't go overboard (i.e. weed overdose).  Just typifies the locals hippie culture and slower pace of life.  I love it!

I digress...back to the Daintree River tour.  We get in the boat for 1.0 hour tour.  The Daintree River is know for having tons of crocs on its banks and we saw a bunch.  There were also a lot of birds in the area.  I liked the photo ops from being on the river. Overall, it was kind of a lazy ride and it was good to be on our way to Port Douglas.  Probably 1.5 hours later....we made it to Port Douglas.  I was being dropped off...while the others on the tour were heading back to Cairns. 

I got dropped off at my hotel the Sheraton Mirage.  This place was swanky and had a huge property.  Once checked in...I relaxed on my patio and there was a pond right outside.  This was my first hotel stop on the tour and at first it was refreshing.  I took a hot shower....freshened up...and got ready for a quick trip into town.  I went to the bar in the hotel looking for other solo travelers...nothing.  I decided to a beer and some nuts to quell the hunger.  So I chilled out for 45 minutes watching footy.  I was not sure my feet would allow me to go downtown....but my my curiosity got the better of me. 

I bought a 24 hr ticket on a bus to get into town.  it was 7:30pm and the last bus back was at I had to be quick.  I basically walked the whole street and checked out the bars (only thing that was open).  There wasn't anything special....but to be fair it was a Sunday night.  I do recall one open air bar that had a projector screen playing the US Open.  So I stopped there for 30 minutes.  None of the bars were more than 1/4 after walking an hour I headed back.  A little more time at the one was there and I headed back to my room.  Totally exhausted I went to sleep and didn't wake until 8am. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: