Day 5 - Thursday

Trip Start Apr 09, 2011
Trip End Apr 24, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Louisiana
Thursday, April 14, 2011

Today is the day to do the French Quarter and hit Elizabeth's for some of that praline bacon!

We packed up and caught the streetcar into downtown. We caught the Canal St streetcar down to the river and then caught the Riverfront streetcar down to the French Market end of the line. From there we walked up Frenchman St. with the idea od walking across Chartres St. to Elizabeth's, a restaurant that does Real Food Done Real Good. We had discovered that they offer praline bacon on the menu, and that was the prime driving force behind this trip. We overshot Chartres and walked to Bywater on Dauphine (there wasn't a street sign at Frenchman and Chartres and RC didn't check the map until a couple of blocks later).

We had a bit of a wait due to a train blocking the raod, but that gave us an opportunity to chat with a couple of local young ladies. We finally arrive at Elizabeths and had our praline bacon (shared three orders of it!) and our breakfast. RC's biscuiy and gravy was unremarkable (the gravy wasn't even warm, actually), but JG's Classic Callas were good (rice and dough deep-fried and served with powdered sugar).

We walked back to the French Quarter on Chartres and were glad to have made the trip out on Dauphine because Chartres was very industrial for a ways and Dauphine was definitely residential and much more interesting. We started looking at the places that were mentioned in the French Quarter walk in our Frommer's guide book and then decided to walk to the beginning point, at the uptown side of the Quarter to actually start the scripted walk. Along the way we ran into filming going on on the uptown side of Jackson Square so we had to detour through Pirate's Alley to get to Decatur and Iberville.

We wove through the area, following the walk, almost to the spot where we had visited on the end when we decided to break for lunch and get our muffallatta at Central Grocery. There was a bit of a line, but it moved along and we got our half and a bag of sour cream and cajun onion kettle chips. We walked over to the riverwalk and found a bench near the front of the Natchez where we ate our lunch and listened to the calliope concert before the boat was open for boarding.

We waited until the boarding line was under the canopy and thus caught a few sprinkles. When we got aboard we went directly to the gift shop, which was a great idea since we had the place to ourselves. When we went to check out with JGs postcard finds, the clerk was having a fit with the receipt printer, and had to call someone before turning it off and recycling it to recognize that there really was paper loaded.

The cruise was nice, and the narration about the Port was informative. JG wandered around the boat and RC took a seat and didn't budge. He did a bit of checking eyelids for leaks, and wasn't really felling that great - a nasty headache. While boarding we had been photographed, and we purchased the result.

After the cruise we walked back to the Cafe du Monde and had more beignets, a frozen cafe au lait and a large iced coffee. We were serenaded by a trio of musicians on the sidewalk. They were marginal at best - a sousaphone, tenor sax and drummer. It was still interesting to sit there and watch the passing parade.

We started back up to St. Patricks to pick up our scripted tour and found that the filming was still going on. We finished our tour and headed off to Mother's restaurant to get our po-boy sandwich (the roast beef with debris has been recommended to us by several people).The wind was really blowing as we walked down Poydras to Mother's.

When we got there, there was quite a line, but it moved quickly. We placed our order for a Ferdi Special and bread pudding with sauce and took a small table to watch the activity. The crows thinned out quite a bit and then increased and decreased - a regular ebb and flow.

When we exited we were surprised to see that it had rained while we were eating.We walked up to the streetcar and returned to the resort. We did various things to get prepped for our trip to Auburn and called it a night.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: