Amish Country Buggy Ride-Jeska's family in NJ

Trip Start Sep 10, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Pennsylvania
Saturday, September 30, 2006

We woke up this morning and had planned on meeting my buddy Chris Black for breakfast somewhere near Gettysburgh ( he lived about 20 minutes away). I'd placed Chris as a business development manager at a major client about a year earlier, and we've had a great relationship but had never met b4. I was on the phone with him at about 8am while I was emptying out the black tank, when his phone cut out suddenly. A minute later, he rolls up to the rv! He took us out for a great breakfast at Lincoln's Diner, which seemed fitting considering Lincoln wrote the Gettysburgh address at a hotel about 50 feet away.

We got out on the road for Lancaster around 12pm. I knew I wanted to show Jeska the Amish country but didn't know exactly where to start. I remembered going to a real good bakery back when I was 14 called the Bird-in-Hand bake shop, and plugged in Bird-in-Hand into the gps. It took us straight to the bake shop. If you've never tried Amish food- it is out of this world- like melt in your mouth good. We bought a pumpkin custard pie, a loaf of raisin bread, some shooflye pie, chocolate whoopie sandwiches, some pumpkin butterspread, and some oatmeal raisin cookies. They didn't have any tapioca pudding there which I was craving so we headed toward the farmer's market off of highway 340. About a mile away from the bake shop, I realized they had not charged me for my food- just bagged it up and sent me on my way. I pulled over and called them to make sure. We made a u-turn (somehow) and headed back to the bake shop. All told- the food cost about $15 and they thanked me for coming back and being honest. Jeska and I thought it would be easier to maneuver around town in the jeep, so we asked them if we could leave the rv and trailer in their parking lot for a few hours while we toured the area. They had no problem with it at all- shows what happens when u do the right thing and put out good energy.

We first went to the farmer's market- found our tapioca pudding, and were on our way. We both really wanted to take a horse & buggy ride- which is how the Amish usually get around. We went to Abe's buggy rides, and talked to a guy named Omar who had just purchased the business in April of 2006. Real nice guy, he showed us the surrounding farms and once we got off the main road, let both Jeska and I drive. You pull the right rope, he goes right, pull left and horse goes left. He even took a couple of major poops during the ride which got us both very excited (ok that sounds bad, but it was funny!)

After rolling out of Bird-in-Hand (thats the name of the town also) around 430pm, we ha d to get to a campground in Freehold, NJ that night. We would have stayed in Philly with Jeska's sister Amy, but she lives right downtown in center city and there was nowhere to park the rv. In fact there wasn't an rv campground w/in 40 miles of Philly. A bunch of Jeska's family lives in Freehold also- Aunt Lois, Uncle Greg, and cousins Melissa and Brian. After hooking up the rv at the campground, we unloaded the jeep and met them out for a nice Italian dinner. Then we headed back to the rv to show them our new home, followed by Lois and Greg taking us back to their new home theyd just closed on that day. I was passing out on their couch in my usual post-dinner coma, so Jeska and Melissa drove me back home to go to sleep. I passed out around 11pm.

Jeska went back to Melissa's townhouse to see her place. Melissa has a bull mastiff named Sampson so she brought Roxy along. They were instant friends.

I was enjoying some much needed sleep- until about 445am when Jeska and Melissa burst back into the rv. There had been some obvious drinking going on, judging by the unignorable yelling and searching for more shot glasses. I tried going back to sleep for about 10 minutes before realizing it was hopeless. I got up and started drinking a beer, figuring I could upload all the pix on the camera onto the 250gb hard drive I'd bought but not yet opened. Against my recommendation, Jeska and Melissa both took 2 shots back to back. In 5 minutes Jeska was passed out on the couch, leaving Melissa playing with Sampson and Roxy, who'd both come back to the rv with them. She left about a half hour later after she convinced me she'd be okay to drive home. I finally passed back out after a few beers and finishing with the camera around 7am.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: