Haleakala Sunrise

Trip Start Aug 17, 2003
Trip End Sep 03, 2003

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

We set the alarms on our cell phones so that we'd get up in time to drive up to the summit for the sunrise. We awoke to the cold and grumbled as we dressed and stumble out of the tent. The campground was quite. No one else was up yet. We hit the restrooms and then jumped in the Jeep.

"Look at your clock and tell me what time it is" I said to Sze.

You see our cell phones were still set to Pacific Standard Time (which is weird given that the phone resets it's time to the same time when we drive from San Diego to Los Angeles.) Sze bought a little watch bracelet from Sports Authority that she set to Hawaii time.

Answer: "It's 11pm"

We morons counted the wrong way. We set the cell phone alarms back three hours instead of ahead three hours. We should have set them for 8am PST (which would have been 5am in Hawaii) but instead we set them to 2am (11pm in Hawaii).

Too proud to admit defeat we drove a half an hour up to the summit. We froze our asses for about 10 minutes until we decided that it was a really stupid idea to try to sleep in the open Jeep for 6 hours. We drove back down to the camp singing along to whatever the radio was playing ("If you like pina coladas and getting lost in the rain...)

We snuggled back into our sleeping bags and slept until the alarm went off at 5am as we had originally intended. The sun was already beginning to rise as we drove back up. The summit was crowded with chatterboxes. We were cold and a little bitter. But we took pictures and by the time the sun risen we were in better spirits. (Maybe it was the idea of eating a meal that was not cooked on the grill that kept us going).

We went back to the campsite and packed up.

Drove down off the mountain in search of gas and breakfast. We found both in Kula. We ate a veggie omelette and drank good (not instant!) coffee at Grandma's Coffeehouse.

Then we headed to Kahului to Border's so that we could get online to find a hotel room for the night. We were done with camping and in need of a shower!

We found a room for about $70. It turned out to be the Maui Lu in Kihei. We thought it was the nicest hotel ever because it had electricity and running water. Washing my hair never felt so good (or took so long).

When we were checking in the receptionist asked if we wanted to rent a safe in our room. We laughed because we'd just spent a week leaving our stuff either in a tent or in an open Jeep. Fortunately nothing was stolen and we saw no need for a safe now!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: