Wake up little Paulie, Wake up!

Trip Start Nov 03, 2011
Trip End Nov 11, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Tuesday, November 1, 2011

There are times when it appears that the universe is trying to tell you something and you really don't want to listen. We arrived in D.C. but not without problems. first it was the cancellation of our Ethiopian Air Flight on the 3rd, then Kenya invaded Somalia, then my Mam-maw fell and broke her leg, then two terrorist attacks in Nairobi. Even with all of that we were still thinking that things were looking up. We were in the home stretch. We even made it to Paulies early.

Paulie always takes us to the airport. We drive to his townhouse and park the truck there and then he drives us to the airport. When we arrived at the townhouse the lights weren't on but we were early so we just sat in the truck for a little while. We decided we should probably go ring the door bell.

I expected to see him within minutes of ringing the doorbell but... nothing. Actually after 20 minutes of ringing the doorbell and knocking still nothing. Last night was Halloween and a million things were running through my head from a DUI arrest to a hospital visit. He had always been so reliable I was terrified that something really bad had to have happened for him to not be answering the door. The question was "what do we do now?" We were running out of time.

We really only had one choice. Park at the airport and make our flight. My heart sank when I saw the $17 a day. The failure costs were adding up. $36 fro changing connecting flights, $86 for changing them the second time, $115 for a hotel in D.C. $300 for yellow fever vaccines just to make sure we made it through immigration and now nearly $200 for parking fees. Yikes.

We parked and walked across to the terminal. We had checked in on-line so we got in the bag drop line. It seemed as if it would be faster to check in on-line but the bag drop was twice as long as the check in line and they only had one person working it. It took us a full hour to get to the desk. While we waited Cory tried to call Paulie again. -No Answer- At this point I had started to really worry. He is always reliable. We got through the line checked our luggage and made it to the gate. We tried calling again. -no answer-
We tried to adjust our schedule for Kenya but with us working nights it was a total flip of what we were on. Cory and I have felt Jet Lagged for 3 days. We knew we should eat but didn't feel like it. So we boarded the plane. We made it to our hotel in D.C., The Best Western Dulles Airport. They had us a room ready.

We settled in and called Paulie again. Finally we reached him. Thank Goodness he is okay. He just forgot to turn on his alarm. It was set, just not turned on. He was so sweet and frantic. he is going to try and find our second set of keys and go and get Cory's truck.

After getting the whole car thing straightened out we went across the street and had a meal at O'malleys Pub. We even ordered a pizza for us to eat in the middle of the night. Then we came back to the room to go to bed. It is still so hard to go against your normal sleep schedule but I am hoping that it will pay off once in Kenya.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: