All's ashore thats goin ashore

Trip Start Oct 23, 2010
Trip End Nov 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bahamas  , New Providence Island,
Monday, October 25, 2010

It is possible to be on a Disney Cruise and stay in contact with home. Last night I got on my Laptop and signed up for 50 minutes of wireless Internet. It was $27.50 for the package. I checked my e-mail this morning. Dad made it through the night and is doing better than expected. They have given him a lot of fluids. Until he is stable enough they will not be able to do any grafts. We were hoping that today would be the day but they are saying not until Thursday. 

Cory and I made sure that we were up early this morning so that we could have my favorite. The only restaurant that had eggs Benedict is Triton's and it stops serving at 9:30. Even my meal doesn't taste as good as it usually does. I am looking for comfort in my eggs Benedict but instead I think about how my Dad reacted when I told him that we had changed our plans and were going on the cruise. His response was "I wanna go" That was back on Tuesday, before the accident. I wish I had just told him to get down to Florida. If he had tried to go with me he wouldn't be fighting for his life right now. 

We enjoyed the veranda. We watched other guests feeding the seagulls and enjoyed the wonderful view of Nassau. We were able to see Cevin and Jeremiah out on their veranda just a couple of rooms down.

I was thankful to be surrounded by friends. Ray and I spent a little time just commiserating. He was such a comfort to me. I was surprised to find out that Ray had experienced what Dad was going through first hand. He had been burned over 20 years ago. He was able to walk me through the process and what to expect. We talked about how he still had to be careful with the sun but other than that his activities were normal. 


We met up with the boys and we just bummed around. I have been to Nassau so many times that we opted to just stay on the ship. We sat by the pool, played shuffleboard and ate. While we were at the pool the kiddies in their Halloween costumes started to trail by. We were in the perfect spot to see all the princess and pirates traipse by. To our surprise there was a trick or treat parade that allowed the kids to dress up and get candy all through the ship.

After watching the Halloween festivities the boys ended up going to Toy Story the Musical while Cory and I met up with Ray and his friends in their room for wine and cheese. For the few hours we were in Rays room I forgot about my pain. We laughed so hard my eyes watered. For a while I felt human again. 

Tonight was dinner at Triton's. For the most part dinner was pretty good. We had met Rays friends for the first time yesterday but this afternoon I felt like I got to know them so much better. I didn't know if they knew about my Dad and I had purposely not mentioned it. For one thing I didn't want to bring anyone else down on their vacation. That was why I was so surprised when one of them asked about Dad. The joy of the afternoon was suddenly dampened by the thought of my father in a coma. I did my best to make it through the rest of the dinner. The servers tried to lighten the mood with napkins made into hats. Mine to look like a Minnie mouse bow and Cevins to look like Peter Pans hat. At the end of the dinner one of the officers came by and recognized Ray from his many cruises on the Disney Cruise Line. He told the head waiter to get us anything that we wanted. That night I had ordered two escargot... one of my favorites on the menu. The head waiter asked who had ordered the escargot. I said that I had and he asked if I would like an order the next night. He was french so I said "Merci beu coup mon cherie." He laughed.  

The boys gave us a hard time about not going out after dinner. They let us get by with it last night but they were really putting on the peer pressure. I told Cory to go ahead and go out with them. I didn't know how to explain that I just wasn't up for a club. Cory left and I sat in bed and watched movies. I felt lonely in a room full of people being alone didn't change that at all. I fell asleep before Cory made it back to the room.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: