Cebu - Moalboal

Trip Start Jan 17, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  ,
Thursday, February 3, 2005

Cebu Moalboal

Arrived late at night at Cebu airport and got a taxi to a recommend hotel by LP. The hotel looked like pretty grim so I booked into another hotel, went out got some food (Pete's Kitchen - cheap and cheerful) and then went to bed earlier as I wanted to have a quick look around Cebu City the next day before heading to Moalboal.

Got up early and started walking around town to see the main sights such as Megellan's Cross (planted April 14 1521 by Ferdinand Magellan where missionaries baptised the first Filipinos as Christians) not much to see really. Then I went to Basilica Del Santo Nino which is an absolutely beautifully ornate (lots of gold) church which holds the oldest Christian relic in the Philippines (a figure of the holy child). By this time I had enough as it was hot yet again and I organised a bus to Moalboal which is supposed to be good for diving. I arrived at the bus station in plenty of time and was waiting on the bus when a Canadian named Joe sat beside me. He had been to Moalbaol a few months before and was heading back there to do a rescue dive course. We talked all the way to Moalaboal and had a good laugh and so we decided to share a room together (two beds)so that we could save some money (this did not really happen as we both like to drink!!!!!).

I spent the next week learning to Dive (PADI - Open Water) whilst he farcically carried out his rescue course. We missed day 2 of our training course due to us both having a hangover from the night before (our instructor actually knocked on our door to see where we were, after one look he laughed and walked off and we went back to sleep, a backpacks life is a good one!!!)

By the end of the week we had both completed our courses (I also completed the advanced open water) and we spent the remainder of our time eating, drinking and conversing with other travelers and bar staff. We then decided to fly to Palawan to do some more diving and check out the scene over there as it is supposed to be untouched and is called the last frontier. Joe went a day a ahead to Cebu city to extend his visa while I finished off the course and got absolutely annihilated with the dive team celebrating one of their birthdays, the next day I was up at 5am to catch a bus to Cebu to meet up with Joe and pick my ticket up to Palawan.....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: