Vegas Baby, Yeah!

Trip Start Apr 15, 2009
Trip End Jun 09, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Nevada
Friday, May 15, 2009

We stepped off the greyhound in Vegas to be met with a severe blast of heat - even though it was 8pm at night. I thought that it got cold at night in the desert, but apparently not! Vegas is always hot, even at 4am in the morning we were soon to find out!

We had booked a hotel rather than a hostel, as we had been given some tips from fellow travellers along the way. We went on and found a hotel which worked out at $22 per night - so that was $11 each! We had been paying $26 and $28 each per night at the hostels, so we were really pleased.  The hotel wasn't on the main strip of course at this price, but it was on Fremont Street, which is basically where Vegas first started and where all the first big casinos were built before they started building on the strip.   So the casinos around Fremont St are a big older and less grand than the ones on the strip, but I was so pleased to have a nice comfy king size bed, a plasma tv with cable and a clean lovely ensuite bathroom! People thought we were mad staying in Vegas for a week, but to have such a nice room for $11 each, we wanted to make the most of it!

Walking in to the casinos is pretty daunting I must say.  I more or less decided from the moment I first stepped in that I was gonna play some roulette cos I know the rules, and nothing else! So I had a flutter, and I lost it all. $20 down the drain in about 30mins. $20 is quite a lot of money to me though, and so after that I thought - thats it, im not playing again! I couldnt risk losing any more money cos I needed every single cent, so after that I basically became a spectator and that was it! 

Our first full day in Vegas just happened to be Luke's birthday - he engineered it well! His first act as a 24 year old was of course to enter a poker tournament! It was a sit-n-go though which meant we had to wait until there were 10 players and this basically never happened, so he took his buy-in money and played a cash game. I spectated for about 5 mins and then went back to the hotel room to get ready for our evening out and await Luke's return with wad loads of cash. He returned a while later, without the wads of cash sadly, but he had had a good afternoon playin poker in Vegas on his birthday and you cant really argue with that can you.

That evening we ventured down to Strip to see the sights, have a few drinks and then ventured back. 

The next day we returned to the Strip again and to the famous tourist photo spot that everyone must visit - the Welcome to Vegas sign. We then walked up the Strip going in to every casino that we passed, to see all the crazy things they have going on inside. We saw Lions at the lion sanctuary at MGM, the fountains at the bellagio, fountains at casers palace and so on

Then we went back to Fremont Street and bought an American Football of beer! 52 ounces of beer (4 bottles is 48 ounces) in a plastic cup shaped like an American Football - totally random but everyone had them and it just had to be done!

We really liked Fremont Street because the street was pedestrianised, there were street vendors selling cute nic-nacs everywhere, and bands, musiciains and artists performing all the time.  The main draw for people to come to Fremont Street was the huge TV screen looking down on the street - it was as wide as the street and 2 blocks long. The biggest TV screen in the world apparently.  Every hour on the hour, all the lights from the casinos would switch off and the screen would come on showing amazing lights and graphics themed to the music that played - something like Queen or Kiss. It was pretty cool!

As we were in Vegas for a week we spent  a couple of days just chilling at the hotel pool, mainly in an effort to avoid the strip and save some of our money, as the whole purpose of Vegas is to spend money - and as soon as you leave your hotel room, you just start to haemorrage it! There were a couple of times though when Luke did sneak off to the casino downstairs for a bit of poker actions, the temptation was too much for him! as was the boredom at the pool!

As luke was spending money on poker and I was now a spectator only spending nothing, I started to think about going to see a show. I really wanted to see a Cirque du Soleil show - there are about 6 on the go at the moment. So I told myself I would go it alone and see a show one night. But then, when I checked my bank balance one day it transpired that I had got paid 300 pound less than I had expected and so the dream of the show was thrown out the window. Nevermind - next time hey!

So, we went down to the strip one day with the main intention of getting an all you can eat buffet lunch. We had woken up late, had no breakfast and went straight to the Excalibur hotel as it was 241 on the buffet between 2 and 6pm. By the time we sat down we were starving and you should have seen our plates! I had (on my 1st plate) lettuce,tomatoes,carrots,croutons,caesar sauce,pitta bread,hummous,bread roll,brocolli,carrots,mash potato,turkey,gravy,and fried shrimp! and like I said that was just the first plate! We came out and we were so full we literally had to sit down and rest for about an hour before we could walk! didnt eat again all day tho, so it was good! haha!

When we finally could walk we went to look around the Venetian Casino & Hotel where they have a huge shopping centre and the gondola's sail through. Another free show to see was the Volcano at the Mirage which would 'erupt' every hour to beats and music. It was pretty spectacular.
On our penultimate night we thought it was time to get very drunk and so after a few football beers and some vodka and lemo, we headed down to the strip. We went a bit wild and had a drink at one of the nice bars in the Mirage Casino -but it was $10 for a vodka and lemo so we swiftly moved on! Despite my drunken desires, we knew that going to a club was out of the question - so instead we found a huge outdoor bar which was free and almost as good as a club. It was here that we stupidly bought a ridiculously big, 100 ounce cocktail that came with its own bloody strap to hang around your neck! After we drank it - things got a little hazy, but I can tell you, it was a good night!

On our last day in Vegas, we tried to fit in all the things we hadnt yet seen. We went to the Stratosphere but were too hungover to comtemplate the rides at the top of the tower, which was good really cos we couldnt afford them probably.  We saw some crazy trapeze acts performing at Circus Circus. And we saw the Sirens of Treasure Island show which is a little mini musical performed outside the hotel with Sirens and Pirates galore!

A week flew by and we couldnt quite believe it. I was gutted to leave the hotel knowing it was back to smelly dorms, but we were looking forward to getting back to the hostel lifestyle and having some more people to talk to other than just each other! So, thanks to Cheryl being totally fantastic, we hired a car from Enterprise for cheap and set off on our way to Flagstaff in order to see the Grand Canyon........
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: