Trip Start Aug 19, 2011
3Trip End Aug 23, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- Arrival in the beautiful city of Bern
- Lunch at Riggenberg Restaurant in Bern near the historic Old Town part of the city
- Swimming in the Aare to escape the heat. The current is strong so you walk upstream and jump in. Then, you float downstream until you reach an exit point. You have to grab on to one of the bars in the water to avoid going further downstream. The water was 21C (cold but warm for Bern), and it was very refreshing. The men's changing area is basically in plain view of any passersby so that was interesting.
- Lauren and I met up around 3PM at the outside garden cafe of the Casino. It's a very nice, shady terrace overlooking the Aare and surrounding hillsides. After a brief rendezvous, we headed to the train station to buy tickets
- We met up again for a 5:30PM apartment showing. I took a taxi from the train station to pick up Lauren at the office, and then we went to the apartment a few blocks away. The whole taxi ride was probably ~5 miles but cost ~$60. (Just one example of how outrageously expensive Switzerland is.)
- The apartment was nice and had a good layout with plenty of space (especially by Swiss standards). After a quick viewing and application pick-up, we headed back to the train station to catch the 6PM train to Interlaken-Lauterbrunnen-Murren. (Lauren applied for this apartment and was later accepted by the landlord so this will be her new home in Bern.)
- In Interlaken, we changed trains to get to Lauterbrunnen. In Lauterbrunnen, we took the Gondola to Grutschalp, and then from Grutschalp, we took another short train ride to Murren.
- Our hotel was across the street from the train station. Upon check-in, we received a free room upgrade to a superior suite. It was a rather large suite with 2 nice bathrooms, a bedroom and a large living area. The suite was on the top floor with a large balcony, and the view from the balcony was incredible. The suite was in the corner of the building and had amazing views on 3 sides.
- After wandering around the small, quaint (and car-less) village of Murren, we headed back to our hotel for a very nice dinner on the terrace.