Day 5 - Earl Passes By, Surfing & Lots of Pool Fun

Trip Start Aug 27, 2010
Trip End Sep 05, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turks and Caicos Isl.  ,
Wednesday, September 1, 2010

At 6:30AM, I woke up to the sound of wind and rain.  I peered outside, and it looked like we were in a hurricane, with driving sheets of rain.  However, I fell back asleep and when I got out of bed around 8:30, the sun was out, and the weather was fine.

We went to breakfast at Giuseppe's in the French Village.  I had a savory crepe with ham and cheese, and it was delicious.  After breakfast, we headed to the water park.  As we arrived, it began to pour buckets of rain - out of nowhere.  We were going swimming anyway, so we got in the lazy river and swam in the rain - very fun. 

After a few minutes, the rain cleared and the sun came out.  We played on the slides and went boogie boarding on the surf simulator.  After awhile, we decided to go to the beach.  The water was still very rough - a little to rough to swim in.  We could see where the tide had come up during the night.  It got as high as the dunes - clearly much higher than normal.  We played paddle ball for a little bit and then jumped in the Italian Pool and had a drink at the swim up bar.  Tedane was the bartender, and he showed us some fancy bar tricks, like pouring drinks behind his back, etc.

For lunch, we went to Mario's for a special lunch reserved for Sandal Select Members.  The lunch was good, but nothing particularly special.  At lunch, the Photo Shop people were selling T-shirts that said "I survived Hurricane Earl 2010", so I bought one for Austin.  Later at night, the hotel delivered us pineapple slices dipped in chocolate as a thank you gift for attending the luncheon.  I thought that was very nice.

After lunch, Austin and I went back to the water park because they were switching the surf simulator to stand up surfing.  I heard Beaches has the only stand up surfing simulator in the world so we definitely wanted to try it.  By the time we got there, they were just opening it up, and Austin was second in line.  He did great and didn't fall until his time was up.  We both tried it twice.

We then headed back to the room to clean up and have some down time before dinner.  We had reservations to eat at Kimono's again - the Teppanyaki restaurant.  Our reservations were for 6PM and we had a little time to kill.  So, we took the elevator to the top floor and walk around to see the view of the beach at sunset.  We also got a drink at the main bar and hung out by the pool.  Dinner was great.  We wanted "Fortune Cookie" to be our server but he was at the next table. 

During the summer, Wednesday night is the Summer Fest party, where they open the water park from 7:30PM to 10:30PM (normally, the water park closes at 6PM).  This Wednesday was the last party of the summer so we suited up and hit the water park.  We played around on the slides and lazy river for a while.  It was fun and different at night with the lights in the water.  Later, there was a boogie boarding competition, and Austin came in 3rd place out of about 30 people.  He did great.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: