Day 18

Trip Start Jul 10, 2007
Trip End Aug 09, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Saturday, July 28, 2007

We decide to take the train into Manhattan. Insert the address of the town with the train station into the GPS and we're off (a half hour drive). We take an off-peak train leaving at 9h30 as it's cheaper. But it's Friday, we have to pay for parking...$ 2.50 for the day. Not bad. But all I have is a $20 bill to put into the machine. Out comes $17.50 in quarters, nickels and dimes...5 lbs of change in my pockets. train tickets. Get rid of some change. An hour and half later we're in the middle of Manhattan in Grand Central Station. Decide to see the Statue of Liberty first. Since we're on 42nd Avenue and the ferry is at the tip of Manhattan, we grab the subway. Get on the first train. Ahhhh! Are we going in the right direction? Get off a couple of stops later. Check the map. OK. Right direction....but need a different train line. Arrive at the end of the line. Get off and walk thru Battery Park towards the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. See a long, long, long.......longggg line of people waiting to get onto the ferry. Sign says hour and half wait. Decide to skip going now hoping the line-ups will be shorter in the afternoon. Start walking uptown. See the World Trade Center site, Trinity Church, Wall Street, & the New York Stock Exchange. Walk thru the Soho shopping district (without having Alexis buy anything), Greenwich Village and stop for lunch. Keep on walking and end up at the Empire State building. Decide to go to the top. We were like ants at a picnic...inching forward and zigzagging back and forth towards the elevators. 2 hours later we're at the top. I preferred going up the Sears Tower in Chicago. No waiting there. After that we decide that some shopping is in order for Alexis. Off to Macy's we go...Shopping Heaven. It's getting late and we still have 2 hours to get back to the camper. Walk back to Grand Central Station, have supper, and grab the 8h30 train back to Poughkeepsie. As we get into the train station we realize it's been raining. We get to the trailer and the ceiling vents are open...water on the bathroom and kitchen floors and.....on my bed. Oh well.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents