Day 2 - Too Much Driving

Trip Start Jun 30, 2012
Trip End Jul 15, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rocky Neck State Park

Flag of United States  , Connecticut
Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 2 - I woke up around 3 last night and had a 15 minute conversation with myself that went something like this, “You don’t need to go to the bathroom that badly. Just go back to bed and sleep until morning. But I can’t. I think I’m going to have to go. I just have to crawl over Will, open the camper door without waking a child, walk 500 feet to the bathroom in my pj’s and then do it all over in reverse. OK, so maybe you can wait until tomorrow.” I finally got up and went and it took me another 30 minutes to go back to sleep. Ugh. Then the alarm went off at 6 and we were up and moving. All of that aside....we drove from north of RIchmond to East Lyme, CT today. A total of 439 miles. We were out of there and breezed through DC without any traffic. We stopped at a WaWa, which is the best gas station I’ve ever been in, and grabbed some lunchables and sandwiches so that we didn’t have to stop - Will was delighted. We drove through Baltimore uneventfully, singing “Good Morning Baltimore” from Hairspray. All was going as we had hoped, driving through the big cities on a Sunday, until we got to New York. First of all, I had a feeling that we were going to have to pay tolls through New Jersey and I was mentally prepared to do so. I drove my grandparents to NYC about 15 years ago and I remember the toll plazas. But I had no clue how much we were going to have to pay, especially with Chanel’s extra axle. The New Jersey turnpike from it’s beginning to the last exit at the George Washington bridge cost us $35!!! I think we paid around $80 total to make out way through Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York City. I will say, in defense of the turnpike, that we had no problems with traffic. It was congested but we did not have to stop or even slow down at any point. Once we paid our toll at the official “end” of the NJ Turnpike, we exited into one of those “plazas” that only is accessed by the expressway to get some gas. Mind you, we were rock-throwing distance from Manhatten. We thought we had the traffic beat and we were going to sail over the bridge and through the city. Anyway, Will got in one of the lines of 12 vehicles while I walked the kids into the plaza to go to the bathroom across 99 degree asphalt . I think that was when we started to think we may have made a rookie mistake by driving through the city. Our punishment for taking the “urban-scenic” route was an hour driving time to go 1/2 mile to get to the George Washington bridge toll booth. It was so hot there were overheated cars all along the shoulder.  At one point the Tahoe started to overheat and we had to cut the AC off. It was brutal! After getting over the bridge we changed our route and quickly got off and onto a highway that headed north through the Bronx and into Connecticut. Once we crossed the CT border we were on one of the prettiest highways we have ever traveled. Dark evergreen trees in the median, old stone overpasses and wooden side rails indicated a much more pleasant situation. On top of that, the map program on the iPad showed me that at any one time in Connecticut we were always surrounded by no less than 5 country clubs and 4 golf courses. Ahhhh..... Finally we exited at East Lyme, CT and turned into Rocky Neck state park. We stopped at the tiny check in building and got our car hang tag for the night. We drove to the “Osprey” circle and pulled into site #22. Heaven. We had no close neighbors, and dense, tall evergreen tree cover. The site was wide with a nice cement pad, picnic table and fire ring on short green moss, and scattered light grey boulders. Wild blackberry bushes grew behind us, yet were seemingly manicured into nice patches. I love the fact that relatively little undergrowth grows here, unlike Atlanta. The woods are more Highlands-esque, with high trees and little low growth, and there are old, beautiful mountain laurel bushes everywhere. We set up Chanel and poured blue solos of pinot grigio and started walking with the kids down the path towards the beach. About one quarter of a mile down a peaceful, deserted road (we had no clue how far it was to the beach) the skies opened up and it started pouring. Fine, except that I had my camera with me and had to run, hunched over my Nikon, the whole way back to the camper. We were all completely soaked. All four of us stripped down on the way into the camper - again thank goodness for no close neighbors - and went in and played uno in our underwear until the storm passed over. We were asleep at 9:30 and ready for the next day that only required 3 1/2 hours of car travel. :)

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Julia on

Y'all are so close! Claire Marie-I LOVE Wawa too. I just discovered it a few weeks ago when we were in Williamsburg for a wedding. I woke up every morning and walked to the Wawa for my breakfast. Kind of sad but I loved it!

cmhuff on

Julia - we also discovered Sheetz. They are awesome like Wawa too!!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: