Warrawong Update

Trip Start Nov 21, 2009
Trip End May 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary II

Flag of Australia  , South Australia,
Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hi Folks,

Update from last blog.  Loved my time at Warrawong - the people really do make the place.  I so admire what they are doing and I really felt their passion for the animals and the place.  I went on a night walk and saw so many nocturnal species, and I did see Mr Platypus (not sure why always referred to as males).  They are rather elusive, no pics Im afraid as they are just too quick off the mark, however I can assure you they do exist.  Strange creatures, look like they are a mix match of other creatures.  Apparently when the English first caught sight of them they thought it was an Aussie joke and it was literally a made up version of animals stuck together.....they find this rather amusing in Australia.

Never managed to finish Enzo's cage, he was the angry bird that I befriended - he did take a shine to me I managed to give him a scratch on his head - not many have been able to do this so I was told - we scots always did have an empathy with the underdog.  I really wanted to see him in his new cage, which I helped to build.  Yes, I have been cutting wire, making doors, hammering, nailing - quite the dab hand now, not to mention the weeding and other odd jobs I have been tasked with.  Even though it was hard graft, the sense of fulfilment made up for it.  It's not about me at the end of the day.

re previous exert about moving boulders, I have a video to share with you.  I know Brenton will never forgive me, takes a woman's logic to get the job done - a before and after shot.  Am sure it will tickle you.

We went to the pics in Mount Barker to see Shutter Island in the evening, Lesley was kind enough to take us.  We saw her home, land and the new pen for her chicks.  Each homestead in the area has land and as a result there are no two/three story houses - more bungalow - makes sense as they have the land to spread out.  I think I prefer that.  In fact I did notice that when I flew into Adelaide, nothing to blot the landscape.

My last day was spent helping Brenton with the animal show, was well attended, children and parents - the children were all home schooled and very well behaved.  So much so, that we lined them all up on the lawn and let Norman, the boa constrictor, crawl across their legs - the kids loved it.  It was fun, although wasn't too keen on handling the Hunter Spider - even though it was in a container, still pushed the boundaries of my arachnobe fear.....  We finished relatively early as we were heading into Adelaide for the opening of the fringe.  I got my dates wrong as I thought it was last week. 

The city was packed, couldn't move let alone get into a bar.  Fortunately we were with people in the know.  Went to the main event - concert with french band - it was like being at a festival, atmosphere was great.  lots of very drunk young people around and no-one dancing.  Came to the conclusion Adelaide can't dance - sweeping generalisation I know.

The sanctuary had to close on the Saturday - high winds and as such severe fire warning.  We dont get a sense in the Uk of just how much damage can be caused by fire, over here it's a very real threat.  The evening was spent saying my goodbyes and playing a few cards with friends.  Will miss everyone, Lesley, Elsa, Brenton, Max. Rachel and Finn.  Brian the chef (he used to be in a rock band) and Asia, Tanya, Lauren and all the staff - they made me feel part of the team.  Am not sure voluntary work is for me, I could see myself working on the operational side.  Had lots of ideas whilst I was there.  I was sad to find out that there are negotiations underway with Adelaide Zoo - it always boils down to money at the end of the day.  Perhaps I could take the skills I have gained in the corporate market and add value.  Food for thought.

Arrived in Sydney today (21/02) have accommodation for tonight and then nothing booked.  It's Mardi Gras week, the busiest time of their year and the second largest festival in the world.  Oops - hard to believe I was a Project Manager and now I have nowhere to stay - that's what happens when you adopt a rather laissez faire attitude.  No need to worry as I am sure something will come up.  The lovely Concierge at this hotel (Sheraton on the Park) is on the case and I have been assured he will find something for me.  If all else fails, I can sleep on the beach (that was a joke by the way).

My flight was delayed by three hours today so was stuck in Airport - am pretty tired now (its 8.17pm) so will prob not venture out in the City tonight and just get an early night.  Was up at 6.30am.  New adventures tomorrow in Sydney....big Gay parade is on Saturday, the world will be watching, look out for me, lol.

I never imagined how much I would enjoy this experience and how easily I would adapt, especially after everything that has happened over the past year or two.  I so did the right thing by coming away, it feels right and Im getting a sense of myself again, and more than anything, Im happy.

Signing off now, love to you all, miss you lots and you are always in my thoughts.  Take care and I will be in touch again soon.

Lots of love

Shirley-Ann xxxxx

PS Uncle Drew/Lilias - I havent got your address, can you email it to me so I can send you some postcards.  Thanks,

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: