Trip Start Sep 01, 2010
Trip End Nov 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Fiji  , Viti Levu,
Friday, October 29, 2010

The second leg of my journey! I may have lost a day coming here (and got a middle aged Fijian lady's phone number...) but I seem to have landed intact. Despite it being around 5am, there was a cheerful group of locals singing and playing guitar to welcome us to passport control.

Having made it through the rigmarole of the airport, I thought I'd see about sorting myself a hostel. Little did I realise what I was letting myself in for! As soon as I got out to the 'Arrivals' section, I got jumped on by a guy asking where I was staying, once I said I didn't know he threw me at a woman who started booking me into this place and sending some other girl to sort things out. I know it sounds confused and believe me it was, I'm still not entirely sure what happened but, regardless, shortly after I was in the dodgiest old taxi I've ever seen on my way to Bamboo!

He dropped me off and I got handed over to somebody else who turned out to Sam who runs Bamboo with Henry. Since they weren't ready for me (10 minutes notice at 5am, what's wrong with them??) I dropped my bags and went for a walk down to the beach. Got chatting to this old dude who climbed up trees to get coconuts down, honestly the milk was pretty rank...not quite the perfect fresh tropical taste I was hoping for!

Spent most of the day relaxing after that, reading my book, playing with a couple resident kittens and chatting to other people at Bamboo. Over the next few days Fiji time really sank in and I just chilled out, met some really cool people and went on a couple of little trips. On the way back from one place a Canadian girl was chatting about how she hadn't driven in ages, the taxi driver just got out and motioned to her they should swap! Damn she didn't have a clue...hit every pot hole and got terrified when we got to a roundabout...:-S Brave cabbie!

Most of the time though was spent relaxing, swimming in the sea, playing volleyball, chatting...the food they served at Bamboo was fantastic, had coconut crumbed chicken one night. Another night was Lovo, they dug a pit then built a fire above it, balanced a few rocks in the fire, as the fire burned out the hot rocks fell into the pit and they then put the meat, fish and veg wrapped in leaves in and filled it in. Pretty good but, if I'm being honest, the coconut crumbed chicken was cheaper (about 2) and so much better...

We also passed a lot of evenings in a traditional little Fijian building with the locals, singing, playing cards and drinking Kava, the local tipple. This might sound really nice (and it was pretty cool) however, Kava is made from grinding up the roots of the Kava plant and mixing it with water, the mixture basically has the flavour and texture of muddy water. As you drink the Kava (out of half a coconut shell) you have to clap 3 times and say "Bula!", then neck the lot, which proceeded to numb your tongue...nice.

While I was chilling out, doing nothing, I met a Dutch guy called Martijn and made plans with him to hit Mana Island, we got to the boat morning of my 59th day and found Jamie, a Welsh boyo we'd met a couple days before on a trip to Nadi waiting for us, Awesome!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: