Sleep over in Lima Airport

Trip Start Sep 28, 2006
Trip End May 04, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Friday, November 3, 2006

I was dreading my overnight layover in Lima airport, but it ended up being quite productive. After I landed, I picked up my backpack from baggage claim and went straight to LAN's reservation desk to try to switch my flight. Not only did the woman put me on the direct 6 am flight that I had wanted, but she also was able to check my pack a full 7 hours before departure! I was beyond psyched. I was a bit paranoid about security as Lima is not exactly the safest of places and the food court and shopping area is open to the public (security does not open until 4 am). Furthermore, the airport was renovated recently, and it was much fancier than I had expected it to be. Although there certainly were some sketchy characters floating about, I never at any point felt unsafe.

I camped out for the next five hours in the very nice internet place near the escalators. The computers were new and fast, and the store was very quiet and clean so I was happy. I also was shocked by the prices--only S/.7 per hour, which worked out to be about 25 cents if you are an idiot like me and interpret this to mean .7 soles. Yeah, around 4:30 am I found out the hard way that it was actually 7 soles an hour. I mildly freaked out when I was slammed with the bill, but thankfully the guy was really nice and only charged me 20 soles or about six bucks. Not so bad, considering that I had accomplished a lot and managed to keep myself awake and entertained.

I started to crash as I headed to my gate--you know that awful sick feeling you get in your stomach when you've been up all night? For some reason I thought Dunkin Doughnuts at 4:30 am would be a good cure. I think I just saw it and was reminded of New Haven and New York and I felt nostalgic. And I was in tired stuff-my-face-with-junk-food mode. At least I did not wash down my munchkins with Inca Cola. Ugh. That stuff is yellow and scary. I tried to snag an hour of rest on the chairs at my gate, and nearly missed my boarding call. A small bus took us to our small plane. I don't think the flight attendant even glanced at my ticket as he ripped it.

My flight was practically empty, so I have no clue why when I bought my ticket in March and when I inquired thereafter the agents told me that it was fully booked. I had three seats to myself! I stretched out, put on my eye shades and ear plugs and passed out. I awoke 45 minutes later to the most gorgeous, clear views of the Andes. I can't believe that in only a few days I will be somewhere down there! The fun is about to begin...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: