Iguazu Falls

Trip Start Jan 13, 2010
Trip End Dec 20, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On a Bus

Flag of Argentina  , Misiones,
Wednesday, February 10, 2010

At 2.15pm on Monday, Mark and I set out on our mammoth adventure to visit the Iguazu falls in North East Argentina.  I call it mammoth as in order to get to Iguazu we had a 17 hour overnight bus journey to get through first.  Now you are probably thinking at home "17 hours on a bus why not fly instead?" which is a great idea but there was a reasonable rationale for taking the bus it was cheap compared to flying which was going to work out four times more expensive. 

Another rationale behind our decision to take the bus was that here in Argentina they take their buses very seriously.  Most travel across South America is done by bus and 17 hours is not much compared to some journeys you can take.  We opted for the "Cama" ticket option which meant we had a chair that turned its self into a totally flat bed for sleeping on (pretty cool), movies to entertain us and also food and drinks throughout the journey.  The "cama" option is similar to the equivalent of a seat that you would get if you flew first class and I suspect probably bigger but heaps cheaper so right up our street.

So we set off at 2.15pm on the Monday and arrived at Puerto Iguazu at 7.40am the following day.  The bus journey was great, both of us got a good sleep and were refreshed and raring to go on Tuesday morning.  We had a quick freshen up and change of clothes at the bus station and off we headed on the wee bus that took us to the Iguazu Park to see the falls.

Some facts about the falls for ya. The Iguazu falls are spread across the Argentinan, Brazilian and Paraquy borders.  They are higher and four times wider than Niagara Falls in North America and are divided by varous islands that separates the water.  Legend has it that the falls originated when a jealous forest god, enraged by a warrior escaping down the river with a young lady, caused the riverbead to collapse infront of the lovers creating the falls.  The girl turned into the islands below with the warrior survived as a tree overlooking the falls.

The park itself is pretty huge and has a wee train that takes you to the numerous different view points of the falls and walking trails across various the park.  The falls themselves, as you will hopefully see from the many, many photos that I took, are pretty amazing.  The park itself is well designed so that you get to walk around and see the falls from many different viewpoints.  Really stunning stuff!!!

We spent the morning exploring the various different walks and then in the early afternoon headed down to go on a boat trip that takes you various parts of the falls.  After 15 mins of being on this boat we were drenched, soaked to the bone after being taken literally under the falls. It was totally exhilarating and lots of fun.

After being soaked to the bone, we decided to go for a well earned cerveca to quence our thirst and to also try to dry out a wee bit.  Now while we were at the park we saw all manner of wildlife, birds, hundreds of butterflies, lizards & Iguanas.  However. the coolest animals we saw were a family of Coali's (mummy, daddy and four baby coali's).  They look like a cross between a racoon and an ant eater but cute.  While we were enjoying our beers the mummy and baby Coali's where in and out of the tables in search of any crumbs they could find left behind.  This was very cute and entertaining.  While we were enjoying the show we heard an scream and we turned around to see that the daddy Coali (who I have to say was well fat) steal the top off a guys sandwich and run away. Cheeky wee bugger!  This was of course funny for us but obviously not for the guy who had just paid a tenner for his sandwich.  After much laughter from the crowd we carried on enjoying our beer only to find that ten minutes later the daddy coali was back to steal another guys sandwich, the thing actually fought the guy for the sandwich which was still in its wrapper!  We couldn't believe it (again it was pretty funny but also sad for the guy who lost his lunch).

After some more walking around and the realisation that I was beetroot red (we forgot that the water from the falls would wash off our sunscreen - whoops) we decided to head back to town to grab a meal before getting back on the bus at 7.15pm.  We found a lovely Parrilla and had grilled chicken and salad which was fantastic and then got back on the bus for our long journey back to Buenos Aires.  It was a fab day despite the time it took to get there and definitely a place not to be missed. 

Bus Journey Hours so far: 37 hours


Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: