"I saw the Kelly Miller Circus 4 years ago in TX!"

Trip Start Apr 15, 2013
Trip End Oct 31, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Parking lot outside of a thrift store

Flag of United States  , Maryland
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Last night, we were beginning to despair that we'd have a place to stay…it was set up that we’d stay in the parking lot of a thrift store, but upon getting there, we couldn’t find the electrical hook-up that we need to run the fan at night. We called the sponsor and he suggested a couple of other places, so as we were calling them, he ended up getting a hold of the security office that keeps an eye on the whole area and one of the security guys met up with us at the same time the sponsor got there. The security guy’s name was Snake, the sponsor’s name was Halsey, and John and I were feeling a little left out with our boring names. J They moved us over to another end of the parking lot near a locked box with outlets in it only after Snake made us promise to call him when we were heading out so that he could lock it back up.

This morning started at 9:20am, so we actually got to sleep in! Well, we would have, but our bodies are already tuned into waking up at 5:30-6am, so we both kept waking up on the hour until the alarm finally went off at 7am. It was a foggy, sleepy morning and I don’t remember much of it. I do remember completely forgetting to even drink coffee until we were well into our day with the sponsor. That’s how tired I was.

Halsey had set it up that another Legion Post member would drive us around in the morning, so George, the local fire chief, pulled up in the morning with circus posters in hand. We were halfway down the road before I realized I hadn’t packed any of our flyers into John’s suitcase, so we had to turn around and go back. Fortunately, our schedule today was very loose, so it didn’t set us back at all.

We ended up visiting all of the ticket outlets in Olney and a couple of shopping plazas. It was nice because if we hit up a ticket outlet that was busy with customers, John and I would walk around to other shops nearby and pass out flyers/make balloon animals for kids to make good use of our time and then go back to the outlet. We took lots of photos with folks and made them promise to post them on Facebook.

A couple of highlights: We walked over to a McDonald’s that George said was really particular about handing literature out and we completely won them over! We talked with a number of folks who were eating breakfast there, gave them flyers, and John made a couple of balloon animals for kids. The one employee at the register asked for a flyer and said if it was for a good cause, he could leave a stack of flyers on the counter at the registers!

Also, we stopped in a Petco and the guy behind the counter could not have been happier that we came in. Seriously. His face lit up, he asked us all sorts of questions about life on the road and working for a circus, he wanted a photo with John, and said he’d be happy to pass out flyers in the store for us. John made him a balloon dog, which is now part of a dog product display, and he told us when we were leaving that he’d been having a not so great day, but now it had improved tremendously.

And, we finished off our day stopping in a Baskin Robbins (because 89 degrees + walking around outside most of the day = ice cream). The young woman behind the counter, after we told her we were with Kelly Miller Circus, got REALLY excited and told us that she used to live in Texas and would always go to Kelly Miller Circus when it came through her area. We handed her a flyer and she pointed at Steve & Ryan (the two clowns on KM), saying excitedly that she remembered them from when she went 4 or 5 years ago. She got a picture with John and said she’s definitely going to the circus. What a small world!

We arrived back at the RV and basked in the a/c (we’d left it on all day for Griffin, our cat). I won’t go into details, but we’re having issues with our toilet again, so I ended up walking up the street to the hospital to use their facilities. It was only a 10 minute walk there, but by the time I got back to the RV, I was dripping in sweat. What happened to spring time??? I am very disgruntled about that.

Our jump to Hagerstown, MD was only supposed to be an hour fifteen, but we left right at the beginning of rush hour, so we ended up crawling to Hagerstown at about 35-40 mph instead of the customary 65 mph. Oh well, we didn’t need to be there at any given time, so we turned on Pandora (thank you for fixing our tape deck, Dad!!!) and jammed to 80s hits, where we discovered I knew the complete lyrics to a Whitesnake song. Weird.

Meeting up with our sponsor in Hagerstown was like a family reunion because it’s another guy from the Ali Ghan Shrine (they’re sponsoring both the Hagerstown and the Cumberland dates for the circus) who we met at the Shrine Club dinner the other week. He set us up next to his brother’s business in an industrial park (with electric!) and then asked if we’d had dinner yet. We said no and he said he was treating. Love those Shriners! We ate at a local diner (Always Rays) and had great conversation over beer. Really looking forward to tomorrow!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: