The Canterbury Tales

Trip Start Dec 27, 2011
Trip End Jan 11, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, January 2, 2012

We met outside the Goodenough College after an early breakfast to head over to St. Prancras for a 9:30AM high-speed train to Canterbury. We arrived at our destination approximately fifty minutes later and headed immediately for St. Dunston's Church. St. Dunston's is where the head of Thomas Moore is buried in the family vault after his daughter bribed the bridgeman to return it to her. The church was small, so it didn't take long to look at the stained glass and tombs around before heading out to poke around the churchyard for a bit. It was a beautiful day, which made the twenty minute walk across the entire town to the Canterbury Cathedral much more enjoyable. The Cathedral is huge; it reportedly takes 14,000 pounds a day for upkeep. We followed the set-out path around the church, which led us first to the Martyrdom. It was the spot where Thomas Becket was murdered by four knights after Henry II asked, "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" I didn't spend a ton of time at that spot because there was a church cat sleeping on a chair. Following the path around to the back of the Cathedral led us to the spot where the shrine of Becket was located until Henry VIII had it destroyed. Near that area is where Henry VI and Edward the Plantagenet are buried. 

The whole of the group was not finished looking around the Cathedral, so some of us went souvenir shopping at the shops around the church. Stu (our group leader) moved the meeting spot to inside the Cathedral walls after the fact, which meant that we had to go back in (luckily they did not make us pay again). We were given free reign of the town until 4:25. We started with lunch at CJ's (a cute little deli-style sandwich shop). I had a baguette sandwich and an Oreo cupcake. It was delicious. After lunch, we walked around and looked in the shops. Canterbury is really one gigantic mall. By the time we had finished shopping, we still had over an hour left. We stopped at the crepe stand to get banana and nutella crepes and sat at Caffe Nero for a while before heading to the train station. 

The train back to London left exactly on time at 4:25. I sat with Correne, Colleen, and Joe Faught (JJ). After the train conductor punched our tickets with a butterfly stamp obviously stolen from his daughter's craft kit, JJ entertained us with the "black butterfly." He even made it talk; it said really deep and thoughtful things like "don't take no shit" and "bitch be frontin'." We were all pretty slap-happy, so it was funny at the time

When our train got in to St. Pancras, we made a dash for Platfrom 9 and 3/4. It is not actually between Platforms 9 and 10 (like it used to be), but rather outside the station near Platform 0. It was in a little hut, which was weird and more than a little disappointing, but that didn't stop me from taking a picture. After our photo shoot, we tried looking for a place to eat. The first place we found that was open was the Lady Ottoline. It had delicious food (I had a salad with butternut squash, sweet potato, goat cheese, and almonds. I also had a sticky toffee pudding for dessert (I am going to be soft after this trip). 
After dinner, we had a pajama jam in room 4431 (Justin and Chris's room). The room is double the size of mine and Katie's! They even have a couch!  
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: