Trip Start Jun 06, 2014
Trip End Jun 21, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Portugal  , Lisbon,
Saturday, June 7, 2014

We have safely arrived in Lisbon, our home for the next 4 days. Flight from Seattle to London was on time. It was on our favorite plane, the good, old 747. It is unfortunate that these planes are being phased out of the fleet as newer, more efficient planes can do the job with 2 rather than 4 engines-amazing statement for technology. Also we have noted that the good, old days of flying are gone. Gone are the hot roasted mixed nut cups as appetizers, replaced by a small bag of pretzels. Gone are the open bottles of wine, replaced by small plastic bottles of cheap wine. Gone is the dish ware. Gone is the ice cream cart for dessert. Sigh.......I did watch the "the wolf of Wall Street" while eating a mediocre dinner. We both slept fitfully 4-6 hours, arriving in London at noon (4 AM Seattle time) local time.

Heathrow is such a busy airport. You need at least 2-3 hours to make a plane transfer. We had to go from terminal 5 to terminal 3, a trip that took 15-20 minutes by bus. We had to go through security again and in the UK you have to take your iPad out of your carry-on, BUT you do not need to take your shoes off. Go figure! And they wait until the last minute to post the departure gate so you are stuck sitting around in a general seating area waiting for the gate announcement. At least there are many restaurants and shops around to distract you and occupy your time.

The flight from London to Lisbon was delayed about an hour because of a late incoming plane. We both slept somewhat on that segment. We were further delayed in Lisbon because there was only one customs agent processing non-EU passport holders. It took about 45 minutes to get cleared for entry. Luckily our pre-arranged driver was waiting in the arrival hall with a sign with our name on it( we felt important). Lately I have been booking private arrangements for a car/driver to meet us at foreign airports. They are often cheaper than local cabs and more reliable. Everything is booked on-line.

We touched base with Ron and Marlene Massa, our travel companions, who had arrived earlier. We grabbed a quick bite to eat in the hotel restaurant and tried our first Portuguese red wine (Villa Regia) which was excellent. Yvonne even asked for her own glass. Now it is off to bed in an attempt to recalibrate the body clock. The real adventure begins tomorrow.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


stan on

Great ti hear from you, be safe and enjoy

Cindy and stan

Jim Grasha on

Have a great trip Kum. Please say hello to Ron and Marlene.

Bruce Bender on

Tenha um ótimo tempo e ser seguro.

jane and john on

Have a wonderful time on your trip and we will enjoy your wonderful blog! By the way Happy Anniversary! What a good way to celebrate!

Jan Bender on

Hope you celebrated Sunday. Happy Anniversary! Have a safe trip home.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: