Waya Lailai - Day 284-285

Trip Start Jan 31, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Waya Lailai Resort

Flag of Fiji  , Yasawa Islands,
Thursday, December 4, 2008

Day 284 - 03/12/08

Last nights drunken antics led to a rather hazy and lazy day. Only had 2 hours sleep last night, God I feel rough! To add to the hangover I have the biggest mosquito bite ever on my back and that's saying something after past massacres. Not suppose to have any mosquito's on the boat due to being out at sea but last night a couple must have got into the dorm and as usual made a bee-line for me.

Caught the catamaran from the Wanna Taka and arrived at the Waya Lailai Ecohaven resort by late afternoon. I think they call the place an Ecohaven because it's pretty basic but it's pleasant enough. It's one of only handful of resorts completely owned by Fijians. The scenery around the resort is stunning with big volcanic cliffs and the village sits higher than the beach offering great views of the island. Locals live in and around the resort which is nice rather than being surrounded by fellow tourists all the time.

More Fijian dancing and Kava ceremonies this evening after dinner. Great food once again, been pleasantly surprised by the food in Fiji so far.

Day 285 - 04/12/08

In a previous entry I said my time in Fiji was going to be boring and uneventful. Today turned out to be far from boring and uneventful. Last night I had a fever and something was biting me from under my mosquito net. After half an hour of interrupted sleep I went to the bathroom to look in the mirror to check the damage and my back was covered in bites, nothing new on my travels so I tried to go back to sleep. Then my face and feet got ravaged, still the attacker was unknown so I went to the bathroom again to inspect the carnage. The bites on my back were now golf ball sized and I was beginning to look like the elephant man, slightly worrying. So I sat outside the dorm for a while peering at the electrical storms far out to sea. The fever intensified and I started to shake uncontrollably, felt sick and was generally very unwell. As the sun rose the guys from the dorm woke up for the sunrise hike to the highest point on the island. They rushed to get me some local help; the villagers put me in a small hut and let me sleep for an hour or so before waking me to take me on a small boat to the mainland. The boat ride was rather uncomfortable, the sea was rough, no protection from the sun and waves were crashing over the hull. Not ideal conditions when you feel like shit and it took over one and a half hours too. Anyway I Reached Laktoka on the mainland in one piece and was taken to the doctor in a taxi. The doc prescribed me some oral steroids and cream. I then waited in a local hotel until my heavy laden boat of food and fuel was ready to take me back to the island. By this point the fever had gone and I was a lot better but still very itchy. Arrived back to the concerned island after another extremely rough crossing.

A very kind German couple who I met on another island let me stay in their hut tonight in the spare single bed. So nice of them to offer me the bed. The hut was properly sealed with a fan unlike the holey rustic dorm huts. Had an extremely early night in a comfortable clean bed after a serious lack of sleep over the last 48 hours, only had 4 hours sleep over this period, obviously not enough. I'll defiantly sleep well tonight!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: