Montezuma's Revenge

Trip Start Oct 02, 2010
Trip End Oct 23, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Being sick is never fun and no one wants to be sick on his holiday. I had been sick in SE-Asia several times and usually it's not too bad and passes as quickly as it comes.
But yesterday morning I was a little bit worried since I had an 15-hour long train ride ahead. I had piercing stomach ache, diarrhea and when I tried to eat just plain toast in the morning I vomitted too. travelling in this condition will be no fun at all! Well I guess it's my fault: too much alcohol, hardly any sleep at all and eaten very sporadicly, sometimes not at all then a lot again.
So first thing I did is I went to a pharmacy. The pharmacies in Thailand are well equipped selling everything from inexpensive painkillers in huge amounts, sleeping pills, Viagra-derivates and even amphetamines (They all do work by the way).
The pharmacist prepared a first aid kit(painkillers, absorbtion, antibiotics). We agreed it could be worse and the worst part was the travelling. She suggested to take an Immodium just in case I won't make it to the toilet. My Mom had stocked me with some so I took one to stop the diarhea and kept 1 just in case...
Again I was happy I booked a train and no bus. Ok 15 hours is ridiculously slow, a bus does it in 10 but in my condition even more important is that I can go to the toilet any time I wanted to.
I checked out late at noon so I could get 2 hours nap.
IAfterwards I felt slightly better, I even tried to eat a rice soup. Of course I didnt finish it but I already was getting better. Took a Tuk Tuk to the train station and had to wait about an hour there. I did a big mistake buying a Coke instead of water- the piercing stomach ache came back. Finally the train left with only 30 mins of delay.
Leaving Chiang Mai, soon the weather changed. It started to rain. Taking a sleeper train the journey was bearable, I lied down as soon as possible and even got some sleep. Luckily the Immodium did it's job and I didn't have to go to the toilet- so no problem for the diarhea anymore.
But the stomach ache kept coming back like every hour or so. Altogether I was on the ascending branch though.
Unfortunately I didn't buy any water before I went on the train, a big mistake. In my condition it's so important to drink a lot. Even smoking a cigarette caused piercing pain. But finally I could fall asleep and after 16 long hours I reached Hualomphong railway station in Bangkok. I was not in the mood to take any pictures at all on this trip, hope you understand.
I got a taxi, paid probably the double price as normal but didn't care. All I wanted now is to recover on my hotel's room. I had booked the hotel online a couple of days ago. This and having bought my train ticket were the reasons I didn't want to delay my departure in Chiang Mai. Checking in I got an upgrade for my room:)
Having a shower I realized I have a skin rash, probably a reaction to the tons of pills I took Seems Thailand doesn't want me this time...
But now I just had breakfast, tea ( no coffee!) and a whole bowl of rice soup. Now I'll take a good long sleep and be better soon!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


yannick on

take care of you

christian.kell on

I'm much better already. Have a safe trip and enjoy ur time in SE-Asia!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: