Stop 16

Trip Start Sep 09, 2012
Trip End Feb 02, 2013

Flag of Thailand  , Phuket,
Saturday, November 10, 2012

We got the ferry from Phi Phi Island to Phuket. This time we had our luggage carried to the pier which was handy and when we arrived in Phuket we got a taxi to our guest house. We arrived and it turned out we were right next to Sarah and Bellys really posh hotel, so it was perfect for when they arrived. It was a miserable day when we got their and began to rain later which stopped nic and woody from coming down as they were about a 15 minute drive from where we were. They lived in Chalong near the Tiger Mui Thia Camp. We had a ground floor room right at the front of the guest house which was ironic considering we asked for a high floor but it turned out better to be there. Our guest house was nice but it was situate in a funny close where there was a few others that looked like we were in Blackpool, Victorian style houses in pastel shades. It was very strange. There was a few bars but a lot of old men and lady boys would hang around there!
The next day we went to the beach. We were right next to Karon beach but the sea had a really bad rip so Woody had said to come to Kata beach that was a lot nicer. We walked there but Woody sorted us a moped for the rest of the time we were there which was so much easier. We had underestimated how big Phuket was but it meant there was lots of places to see. After being at the beach all day we went to a hill top Thai restaurant which had amazing views and we had really nice food. Chris had a proper Green Curry that was lovely and I had seafood rice served in half a pineapple!
We went to a few bars after this played pool and jenga!
The next day we went to the same beach but met up with Becky. She was relaxing after doing a charity bike ride from Vietnam to Cambodia. We had a really good day, jumping waves and avoiding jellyfish! I luckily didn't get stung! That evening we had some drinks with Nic and Woody and got confused at a bar, instead of ordering a liter of beer between us we ended up with one each!
As we had our moped we decided to venture further into Phuket. We found a view point that overlooked the bays of Karon and Kata that was lovely. We also went a shopping mall called Central Festival. This was like a mini Trafford Centre and we went to watch SkyFall at the cinema. The Thais are really into their Royal Family and before the film started we had to stand in respect to their king as tribute footage was shown!
We had another beach day again sunbathing, playing in the waves. This time we had found fish jumping out of the waves which was a giggle. Chirs and Nic buried me in the sand it was so hot though and this was as the sun was going down!
It was now Fir day and Sarah and Belly were arriving. We weren't sure what time they were coming but had arranged to go out in Patong and meet up with Becky again as it was her last night. Woody couldn't come as he had his skin allergy 'Staff' which was a shame! Patong was crazy! It was really busy, music pumping and lady boys everywhere, On one particular street where all the bars were there was also ping pong shows. We managed to get into a club for free as one of the girls from the gym used to work in there. We had a good night!
We had a lie in the following day but still made it to the beach. Across the road from our guest house was a Irish Pub so we had breakfast there most mornings then headed down. We met another guy from the gym which was crazy because he was from Northwich also! That evening we took Sarah and Belly to the hill top restaurant then went to the night markets in Chalong that were near where Nic and Woody live. There was literally everything you could ever want in this market and it was so hot and sweaty as we walked round even though it was night time. Nic and I decided to taste deep fried crickets. This was a experience! They had spices on them and were a bit like crisps but with a bit of a different texture. They got in your teeth which wasn't so nice, Chris decided against tasting these!
We spend another day at the beach drinking fresh coconuts and relaxing. We also took another shopping trip into the tourist town of Patong. I didn't find a Mulberry that I was looking for but managed to get a Longchamp designer bag instead. We had a laugh and a few beers later on at the bar at the side of our guest house called Chicken Bar.
We only had a few more days to cram everything in before we left for Koh Phangnan. We went up to Big Buddha to be blessed by monks. On the long drive up to the Buddha there was a baby elephant which we stopped to feed - it was very cute. When we got to the top the views were brilliant. The Buddha is being refurbished which is a shame as it is covered in scaffolding. All of us were blessed by the monks and given bracelets. On the way back down we stopped at another view point which was lovely then went to play crazy golf later on. This was a laugh but it was far too hot!
There was lots of beaches to visit and we had spent most of our time on Kata. It was quite a drive but worth it to get to Nai Han Beach. It was lovely and we stayed here late again. After we went to Kata Beach where they did a Fish BBQ every night. I was very excited for this, We had a mat overlooking the sea with a lantern on it. You chose your fish which was all fresh and then it was cooked on a BBQ for us. It was amazing, we had a whole tuna and some huge prawns and it was lovely. Chris even enjoyed the tuna! It was so cheap as well. We had a few beers and set off paper lanterns into the sky. I was a lovely evening, We came back to our guest house and ventured to Chicken bar again, We had bought some Thai pancakes from a street stall which were lovely - a lot nicer than crepes. Just as we had got these a few street dogs surrounded us which wasn't nice. They were scabby and reminded us of the hyenas from the lion king, a bit nuts! This was when having our room on the ground floor was a good thing as we had to run in there before a dog fight broke out!!
The following day we decided to go to Phi Phi Island for the day, We wanted to show Sarah & Belly the island but it actually worked out cheaper to visit there for a night out and stay there than organise taxis etc to the party area in Patong. The four of us got the ferry there and met Nic and Woody later as they were working. We managed to get a really cheap room with air con and hot water for the 4 of us which was good. We then charted a long tail boat and did the Maya bay tour again. This was so much better than our experience as we had to boat to ourselves and could stay at each place for as long as we wanted, We enjoyed snorkeling again however I caught my toe on a spiky sea urchin which i had a panic but it was ok! It worked out Nic and Woody had found a room next door but one to us so that was handy. We went for food then me and the girls went for a massage while the guys got ready. It was really nice as we just had a full body rather than traditional Thai which is meant to hurt. I do think the girl that did mine was a man though!
We all got together that night for some drinks and partied on the beach. It rained a bit but then the humidity was so high. We were made up we had air con!
The next day we had to get up early for the ferry back to Phuket. We were all a bit delicate as we hadn't had much sleep we weren't functioning . We had booked to go to the Fantasea show that night so all came home for a nap then got ready for that. Fantasea was a show that was described at Cirque du Sollie of Thailand and had a buffet included. We weren't really up for the show and when it turned out to be rubbish we weren't impressed. We all decided to make the most of the buffet meal as we hadn't eaten all day also!
That evening turned out to be a shocker. A few hours after getting back from the show Chris was really poorly being sick. I thought it was because we were dehydrated but it didn't stop. We ended up going to the hospital as he had food poisoning and was not well. We stayed the night there then as soon as Chris was being discharged I started to be sick. We then rang everyone else and they had also been really poorly too! This was a nightmare as we were meant to be leaving for Koh Phanagnan the following day. We had to push our plans up by one day as we were traveling there by bus and ferry and could not be ill for that! It was a shame as we didn't get to say bye to everyone properly before we left! We spent our last night in Patong at a ping pong show. We were all just getting over feeling poorly and this wasn't the best place to be but we couldn't leave Thailand without visiting the show! This was something else. We were escorted off the main street through a bar to a back room where we entered, It was 'free' entry yet we had to pay 10 for a soft drink! Bit of a con but its how they all do it! There was a stage with all seats around and lady boys doing their show. I will leave the rest to imagination but not only ping pong balls were used, fish, and candles were involved! This was a funny note to end on but we were looking to visiting a new place. This was Koh Phangnan for the full moon party.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: