Stop 15

Trip Start Sep 09, 2012
Trip End Feb 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Dee Dee Bungalows
What I did
Princess Divers

Flag of Thailand  , Krabi,
Thursday, November 1, 2012

We arrived in Phi Phi via ferry. The journey was a bit crammed but we sat on the top to get some good views, however we got burnt! It was lucky we managed to get the ferry as a few places we went to in Railay we saying that the ferry was full on the day we wanted to go! When we got off it was a scramble for the bags as we came onto the pier. It was lucky we had booked our accommodation as there was so many Thais hassling everyone to try and book them at their guest house or bungalows.
We had arrived at 12 midday so it was red hot & our next task was to find where we had book. It was a recommendation from a friend so knew it would be ok. Phi Phi is a really small island that has no roads on it, people get around on bicycle. It is quite touristy but their is really nice parts to it, the locals are friendly and its really relaxed. As there was no transportation we had to walk with our rucksacks, we later realised we didn't have to do this as there was people with trolleys that would take your bags for you!! We were both sweating trying to read our map and I was struggling to carry my bag.
After taking the longest way round and a few stops we made it to our bungalows. They were located right on the beach which was brilliant. Think the owner got a shock when we arrived as we were so hot and I looked like I was going to collapse! She quickly offered us water and a seat! Our bungalow was fab as we had air con and a lot of space. We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing on deck chairs on the beach.
I had been in touch with Nic who was coming to the island for a few days with the girls from the gym. We had arranged to meet later on which we were looking forward to. All the bars were along the beach so where our bungalows were they couldn't have been in a better place. Each bar had its own mats laid out to sit at and have a drink or food overlooking the sea, it was such a nice atmosphere.
The town was really small but was filled with restaurants, bars, shops, diving schools, bamboo tattooists. We went out for food and found a nice Thai place rather than Western restaurant. I was quick burnt so was making sure I was hydrated before we met up with Nic. We found Nic in the Reggee Bar that had its own boxing ring. They would have Thai boxing on there but you could also have a mini fight for a free drink - nic and her friend, who is a professional MMA fighter had a giggle and got in the ring! We went to the beach later on where they have fire shows every night which are good to see.
Despite Phi Phi being so small there was quite alot of activities to do while we were there. One day we rented a kayak and found a beach just to the left of the island called Monkey Beach. There was so many living there and the sand was beautiful, so white and soft. The water around Phi Phi is also amazing. Turquoise, clear and warm. The pictures don't really do it justice. We had a situation with the kayak as we got onto the beach. We thought we would just glide onto the sand however we got caught on the smallest wave which tipped us over, resulting in us being washed up onto the beach! We didn't look good but made a few other people already there have a laugh!! Luckily we had waterproof pouches so nothing go damaged!
We were there for bonfire night which was good as the locals went all out for their fire shows. We had a few drinks that night and took advantage of the cocktail buckets that were the equivalent of 2 and you only needed one! I was sick the next day!
We had agreed that we wanted to go scuba diving and it seemed really popular on the island so we chose a diving school. We went for Princess Diving as the staff seemed really nice and it was rated well online. We booked a morning dive, which included all our gear, 2 dives and lunch. We had got up early then headed to the boat. We were both quite nervous for this as there was lots to remember but excited at the same time. We were divided into small groups and had a leader. We were shown the basics and had to do a little test before we actually went down. The test included removing our mouth piece, letting go and retrieving it and cleaning our mask. The furthest we could go was 12 meters and had to make sure we equalized our ears. We both found it difficult to do, as we had to be so careful. I got mine popped in the end but Chris still struggled so couldn't go down. He still snorkeled and saw a shark before we even spotted it! The diving was a really good experience and I felt like I was in Finding Nemo! After the 2nd dive I was ready to stop though!
We had dived in the morning so had the afternoon to relax. The bungalows that we stayed in we really nice but we had come to the conclusion that we might of had bed bugs! This wasn't nice, we didn't see any bugs or eggs but just had a feeling! I also had a rash on my skin that had come up.
The next day the rash had spread all over my body even between my fingers! It felt awful and was itchy, We went to the pharmacy and I saw a doctor. He diagnosed it as Varicella a form of chicken pox! Trust me to get chicken pox in Thailand and I have already had them!! I got some lotion and tablets and that was it! I was feeling sorry for myself for the rest of the day. I sat on the beach in the shade as the sun made me itch. There was some Thai children playing in the sea that were cute then all of a sudden one of them came up to me and threw sand in my face! I literally didn't know what to do or say, Chris couldn't stop laughing! This topped my day off!
The next day we had booked a trip to Maya Bay where the film The Beach was filmed. I still had my rash but felt better so we decided to go. We had got a cheap deal including boat trip, food, monkey beach, viking cave and snorkeling. We were taken out to another monkey beach first off, then a amazing snorkel site then Maya Bay Beach. It was lovely but the boat was really full and we didn't have much time as there was so many of us.
We only had a few days left on Phi Phi so we relaxed, ate and drank well. We were looking forward to our next stage of our trip as we would be meeting Nic, Woody, Sarah and Belly in Phuket.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: