Stop 12

Trip Start Sep 09, 2012
Trip End Feb 02, 2013

Flag of Cambodia  , Phnom Penh,
Tuesday, October 23, 2012

This journey was only meant to be 5 hours but turned into 7 as we had a rubbish bus & had a few to many stops. One rest stop was interesting though, it had the usual toilet, lady selling drinks & crisps then a bit of a market stall selling weird food! Amongst the weird food there was a steel bowel on the floor with huge tarantulas in!! We're not sure if they were alive or not but they made your skin crawl!!
We arrived in Phnom Penh after midnight & I was stressing about getting to our hostel in the dark so late! There was tuk tuks waiting when we got off the bus & he took us to Mad Monkey hostel that we had booked (same chain as Siem Reap) We pulled up & the shutters were down & I didn't think we were at the right hostel as the logo looked different on the sign. We both were a bit worried but the driver confirmed the address with the driver & it was all ok. We had a dorm for the first night where we just got our head down then moved to a private room. We had to wait for our room to be cleaned so we chilled for a bit & planned how we were getting to Thailand. Once we had our room we headed out to the Killing Fields & S21 Prison. We got a tuk tuk from the hostel to take us. It was a really hot day, the road was really bumpy again & so dusty - we were filthy when we got off!
When we arrived at the killing fields we were given audios to listen to as we walked around each point. This was good because you could learn more about the area & the history. It was really emotional walking around here especially with the audio giving you a insight into what really happened! One area of the field where the rain has shifted the mud,remains often come to the surface- we saw a tooth!!! There is also a shrine with most of the recovered sculls in it which is moving. After here we went to the prison where the people were kept & tortured. This again was awful & there was images everywhere of the people & what horrid things happened to them. We also saw a victim of the prison who was alive today giving talks about his time in the prison - this was so sad! When we headed home we felt really deflated after seeing such sad sights.
The next day we had planned a boat trip on the Mekong river. This didn't turn out how we wanted to. We got a tuk tuk to the port but there was only large ferry style boats there & no where that you could make a booking from. It didn't look promising so we saved our money for another trip somewhere else! We saw another temple & the palace. We couldn't go into the palace as the cambodian king had just passed away!! There was pictures & shrines for him everywhere & monks flocked outside the palace to
We booked a flight from Cambodia to Chiang Mai which was nice to not got on a bus anymore for early the next morning so we had a early night.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents