Montezuma living

Trip Start Sep 30, 2009
Trip End Dec 04, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Puntarenas,
Saturday, November 14, 2009

I am so glad that I decided to spend a whole of 6 days here in Montezuma, where life is very calm and relaxed, and here really isn't much else to do than lie on the beach, enjoy the delicous food and enjoy the atmosphere. Admittedly, I have rarely seen so many dreadlocks anywhere as here in Montezuma, and apparently - if you are into that sort of things - the jewelery sellers also sell other stuff than jewelery.

I have taken advantage of Sano Banano's sister hotel, The Ylang Ylang, 10 minutes walk down the beach, and made use of their wonderful swimmingpool in their lush garden. They even have two hammocks in the shade, which is a great spot for reading and relaxing.

The food here is good, but the best place I've been so far is Cocolores placed in a garden close to the ocean. I had some excellent fajitas there. But that was topped the following evening, when I went and watched the sunset from Playa de los Artistas, which apparently - despite the simple apperance - should have some of the best food in Costa Rica. And I was not dissappointed. I had their "Captain Nemo's salad", which was a Japanese inspired seafood salad with eel and sweet sauce just as I remembered it from my favorite dish in Japan.  

The beach here is nice, although there are some quite large waves, and you have to be careful about stones hidden just beneath the surface. The other day I managed to slip in two different holes with rocks and got a huge bruise on my thigh and some cuts on one foot. So despite what I wrote in my previous entry, having a pool to dip in is not that bad after all.
Wednesday I went on a horseback riding trip - again. This time to the Cocalito waterfall, which was the one dropping directly into the ocean. I went with a Spanish woman, who had shared the same interbus ride with me. Her husband was going to Isla Tortuga. It gave me a good chance to practice some Spanish again, which I really have been poor at here in Costa Rica, where everybody speaks excellent English - but I do try whenever I can. Our guide was very nice, too. An elderly man who took good care of us and in the midst of it all also admitted to being a former alcoholic. However, my horse and I did not get along that well. I do not know what it was, but it was an exceptionally bumpy horseride, and even though I wanted to ride a little faster at time, I was bumping so heavily and never found the rhytm. I suppose the horse felt that, and whenever I made him run, it was only for a short while, before he went back to walking again. So I was very sore after that trip and was still suffering from the strained neck I got on the boat two days earlier. But the troubles were well rewarded when we finally reached the waterfall. We had to do some climbing to get close to it, and some even more slippery climbing to get under it, but it was the best shower I've had ever! Hard constant water pouring down on you from above. It was just great!!! After having had our shower and enjoyed some delicious pineapple we walked to the river close by, where we had a more relaxing swim in the turquiose water. I left myself float, feeling happy while the current almost made me drift to the ocean. Then we got on our horses again, and passed by Playa Grande on our way back to Montezuma. I am glad we were on horses, because the path was really muddy at rocky at places, and I really felt sorry for the horses having to carry us at times. But the most incredible thing was all the driftwood that the sea had brought in and that was scattered all over the beach. But that was not the only thing, the sea had brought in. There was loads of garbage. Rarely have I seen so many solitary flip-flops and water bottles made washed pale by the ocean. It was really a shame! I suppose they cannot do much about stupid people loosing shoes and throwing garbage in the ocean, but perhaps they should try to clean it up, although it will be a never-ending task.   

Friday was my last day here. There has been a larger influx of people here due to the Montezuma Film Festival, but no celebrity sightings, though. I went to Ylang Ylang again and spent several hours by the pool. It was overcasted, so I must admit I hardly put on any sunscreen lotion on, although I did carefully track my tanning progress. They do say that you can get sunburned even though it is overcasted, but I just got a little extra colour. I also managed to take some photos of a washing bear and a monkey. Funny enough, I have not heard a single howler monkey here, although there should be some, and the monkey I photographed was a white-faced monkey.

My dinner was consumed at Cocolores, again a great place. However, I was carefully counting my colones, and neither they nor Chicos (the bar) take credit cards - and not Artistas for that matter either. I got Mahi-Mahi in curry and banana sauce - delicious. And even though I was full, I had to ask whether they had the Tres Leches dessert that I had heard so much of, and as a matter of fact they had. So that was consumed with a coffee, and honestly thereafter I could not get a sip or a bite more down. It was a delicous sweet and spongy cake with - as the name indicates - three different kinds of milk. I went down to the beach, sat there and enjoyed the sound of the waves, the gentle wind and the stars. It was just great! I felt happy and a little bit sad to leave. The only thing bothering me was that I no longer could escape the promise I made myself of quitting smoking before I reached Peru and the altitudes. There is just something about vacation and smoking.

In the moment of writing, I have just had my breakfast - spoiled myself with pancakes - and my coffee. I must admit that the Costan Rican coffee is better and stronger than the Guatemalan one, not to mention the watered microwave heated instant coffee we got at the family in Antigua. Apparently, the best Costa Rican coffee should be 1820, and I must try to see if I can find that at home. Now I have to go and get my stuff, check out in order to be picked up by Interbus at 9.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: