Dim sum and chocolate strawberry daiquiris

Trip Start Nov 15, 2012
Trip End Jul 10, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Sunday, December 2, 2012

We arrived to a wet, overcast and way chillier than expected Hong Kong on Tuesday morning, after our 12.5hour flight, determined not to let the jet lag get to us. Headed straight for our hotel, a quick shower and we hit the town, until around lunch time when the only thing keeping us upright was gravity!

We managed to fit in the Man Mo Temple (man meaning Literature and Mo meaning War - built by the Chinese in 1847) and Victoria Peak before crashing. Man Mo Temple was beautiful as you will see from the pics. At the Peak we were greeted with the most remarkable, if overcast, view of Hong Kong. You take this funky little tram all the way up the peak (552m), am not one for taking in the facts and history of these things so if you want to know more read up here: www.thepeak.com.hk. Chris took a video on our way back which is on here, showing how close to vertical one gets on the way down.

After crashing for a couple of hours we made our way, in the rain, to the Star Ferry which takes you over to Kowloon and The Night Market. Grabbed some dim sum along the way, walked Nathan Road (famous for its uber fancy shops - not dissimilar to Sloane Square/Knightsbridge) and arrived at the night market. The Night Market was pretty cool, a lot of the same stuff being sold in the various little "shops" and a complete assault on the senses as far as the smells coming out of the various street vendors - gag! Deciding we'd had enough & quite proud of ourselves for actually heading out into the cold and rain in the first place (ok ok I know we were in Hong Kong and only for 48hours, but seriously travelling is totally different in your 30's than in your 20's) we headed back to our hotel in central Hong Kong island, this time via the uber cool MTR system - London Underground up your arse!

Ventured out into Hollywood street, famous for its pubs and clubs, and sat having a couple of drinks in a Irish bar (of all places), then walked along the street further to another pub which was not Irish but had an Irish manageress that we chatted till until 1:30am - the Irish are EVERYWHERE!

Day two Hong Kong: One of the things on my bucket list was ticket off: The Big Buddha, 26m tall Tian Tan Buddha Statue and the Po Lin Monastry. The usual way of getting there would be to take a cable car up to the top of the mountain. Unfortunately the cable car was closed for two days so we had to take a rather treacherous 45min bus ride around and up the mountain. Needless to say we saw loads of beautiful scenery on the way up and what greeted us on arrival certainly exceeded every expectation I had for this part of our journey. The most humbling, serene and sacred place walking up the 150 odd steps to the Buddha.

Within the grounds of the Monastry it's all vegetarian, no alcohol etc, and then a rather strange change of scenery within the village where we could get a pint and a subway for lunch - two worlds side by side, a perfect example from the monks that although they live a certain way, they are fully aware of the world they live beside and accept it without complaint, amazing!

I didn't want to leave the big Buddhas side but we had to head back into Hong Kong island as we were meeting some friends of Chris for dinner and drinks, so reluctantly jumped back on the bus and made our way back down the mountain - this time faster as downhill and even more scary, I am such a wimp!

Chocolate strawberry daiquiris are the devil! Met up with some lovely peeps in Hong Kong, a family friend of Chris's called Nicky, her husband and her sister, as well as a friend of Chris's from varsity, Dave Sante and his wife Lou. We were taken through the Soho district and up the longest escalator in the world, it just keeps going up and up and up. In the mornings it goes down, taking all the workers into town and the MTR and in the evenings it travels upwards taking everybody home - super cool. We had a couple of drinks in a very "westerners" bar a d then went for a delicious meal at The Delly. Chinese food is seriously yummy when one knows what to order (which all the people we were with did), and also if you are out of London. Nicky and her husband left after dinner, Nicky is 6 months pregnant, and Dave and Lou decided take over as our hosts and show us a little but of nighttime Hong Kong!

They say New York never sleeps - well let me tell you, and for those who have been to Hong Kong will know this, it never sleeps either. Midnight on a Wednesday night and the place is pumping. We were taken to an awesome bar called The Feather Boa. There is no sign on the door, apart from a "Members Only" one, so literally a knock on the door, a peak through the heavy dark curtain by said hosts, and you enter into this fabulous, tiny, 1950's Art Deco type style room - to even a bar or club, a room. One tiny bar, that only sells cocktails and steaming with pilots, uber wealthy business men and the likes there of. Lou said a lot of the Cathay Pacific pilots hang out there, she didn't know we were flying with Cathay pacific the next day but jeez our flight was dodgy to Bali.

So the comment at the start of this "evening piece", chocolate strawberry daiquiris are evil - this is where they come from. Huge cocktail glasses, see pics, with delicious cocoa around the edges and divine strawberry daiquiri inside - two down each and I was battering on about how we need to come my live in Hong Kong to Chris, and Sante and Lou were sorting out jobs for us. Stupidly, stupidly because we had to be up at 6am to catch our flight to Bali - you can sleep when you dead right, traveling not so different in your 30's after chocolate strawberry daiquiris we decided it would be a really cool thing to go and smoke sheesha at a Moroccan bar until 3am - cause that is what you have to do when you travel, right? Budget, what budget I heard my inner conscience repeat itself over and over again, getting ever so slightly milder and more meak as the evening wore on, or rather the morning revealed itself.

3am crawl into bed, 6am alarm goes off, 6:45am check out, 7am drag bag across central hong kong to train for airport, McDonald mcmuffin meal for two please, make that with two LARGE lattes to go, sleep on train for 10minutes, drag ourselves and bags to check in, board flight, bump bump bump (not pleasant due to pilot being at Feather Boa the previous night), land Bali Thursday afternoon, heckled to death at airport (thank you rough guide to Bali for tip on getting a taxi), arrive Bali Mystique Hotel and Apartment Complex, see room, sober up with beauty of our room & surroundings where we will be staying for the next 32days...life is tough ;-)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


zandz on

sounds manic and mad and wonderful shrubbie :) so happy you got to see your Buddha <3 glad you survived the horrible flight :) xxxx

Tina on

Wow, we will be in Hong Kong at end of Feb. Hope the cable car is working by then I am a complete wimp when it comes to scary rides (anywhere) I will only go in the cable car because I have to never mind the bus on a mountain road!!
You think ravelling in your 30's is not as easy as in your 20's......try it in your 60's lol.....we won't be having too many strawberry chocolate daqueris (?) We are also going Cathy Pacific ......hope the Pilots have stayed out of the bar.....!
Sounds like you are having an awesome time. Have a mai tai for us!

Cole on

Sounds like a brilliant city - glad you have fun - the pics look incredible xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: